Freezing Leftover Cauliflower Soup?

Options
mjbnj0001
mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,082 Member
Beautiful, very (very) large heads of cauliflower at the market this week. I just made my first homemade cauliflower soup. Slow-cooker version, I pretty nearly filled a 6-qt cooker.

Needless to say, I have leftovers.

Can you freeze this stuff well? I used half-and-half for the dairy (not so calorie-friendly, I admit). I'm worried the components might separate upon thawing, or the cauliflower go brown or something. I've always had cauliflower as a one-night, no-leftover dish, except as "mashed" where it refrigerates well.

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I find it can split a little bit, but still tastes great. So if you don't mind it not being as pretty, go for it.
  • mjbnj0001
    Options
    I find it can split a little bit, but still tastes great. So if you don't mind it not being as pretty, go for it.

thanks for the insight. i had a couple of leftover containers; now that they've been cooling in the fridge for a while, i'll pop one into the freezer as an experiment.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I usually freeze my cauliflower cheese soup but I don't use any cream/milk. If it does split put in a blender for a few before reheating
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I make cheese, cauliflower, and potato soup (pureed) and have no problem freezing it. I usually add a touch more milk or chicken stock when I reheat it, and the consistency returns to normal.
  • mjbnj0001
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »

thanks for the insight. i had a couple of leftover containers; now that they've been cooling in the fridge for a while, i'll pop one into the freezer as an experiment.

Even if it splits, whats the big deal? It will still be delish "semi creamy" soup :)

That's much the same thing I once told my daughter, first time I made New England clam chowder and it split, LOL.
  • mjbnj0001
    Options
    thanks, everyone!
  • mjbnj0001
    Options
    soup week continues, with a cauli relative: just made a "light" cream of broccoli soup. looks like leftovers won't be a problem between eating lunch and dinner today. ah, autumn!