"bathroom" scales help

I'm trying to figure out why my 2 scales give different weights. Can someone help? I have a digital scale and an "old school"/non-digital scale. I put 10lbs of free weights on each, and they both read 10lbs (so they're calibrated correctly). I stand on them both within a minute of each other, with no changes in clothes, pocket contents, movement or anything else. The digital scale reads 6lbs more than the non-digital scale. Remember they both displayed correct with the free weights. Why are they displaying differently and which one is accurate? Any advice on future scale purchase? Really wanting the UA Bluetooth scale (but a little expensive).

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    edited November 2017
    Every scale can be a little different. The 10 lb weight test, though often suggested here, is pretty meaningless for weights in the hundreds of lbs. Stick with one scale and follow the trend. If you're losing weight, both will show decreases.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    A small differential at a lower weight will be a larger differential at a higher weight. So lets say one scale is actually weighing 10.1lbs and the other 9.8lbs when you weigh your dumbbell, and both are rounding to 10lbs (in the case of the analogue, the difference is too small to see). At 100lbs, one scale would show 101lbs and the other 98lbs. At 200lbs, one would show 202lbs and the other 196lbs. There's your 6lb difference.

Yes, what @Alatariel75 and @lorrpb said. In addition, there's no guarantee that the scales are have linear responses at higher weights. Pick one scale and use it.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    I've got an air pressure gauge that is out by 100% when it reads 10 psi and is accurate at 100 psi.
    Sounds like something similar is happening with your scales.
    Can you calibrate with far more weight? Ideally close to your body weight.

Both could be inaccurate of course.

I had two set off digital scales priced at £20 and at £80 that always diverged by 2lbs.
    When tested against a properly calibrated set in a sports science lab it turned out the cheap ones were perfectly accurate.

• jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    I agree with whomever said take one scale and stick with it. Too confusing and stress-producing otherwise. I have one at home and one at our second place. They do not agree by a few pounds. So when I am at the second place, I weigh myself the first morning and then just use that scale to make sure I don't gain while there. When I come back home, I use my home scale and adjust to that. We are on maintenance in this forum, so what's really important is that we "maintain". This would not work if I were back to trying to lose weight again, probably.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Even a broken watch has the correct time twice a day.

One or both of your scales is wrong.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    litemans wrote: »
    I'm trying to figure out why my 2 scales give different weights. Can someone help? I have a digital scale and an "old school"/non-digital scale. I put 10lbs of free weights on each, and they both read 10lbs (so they're calibrated correctly). I stand on them both within a minute of each other, with no changes in clothes, pocket contents, movement or anything else. The digital scale reads 6lbs more than the non-digital scale. Remember they both displayed correct with the free weights. Why are they displaying differently and which one is accurate? Any advice on future scale purchase? Really wanting the UA Bluetooth scale (but a little expensive).

"Man with one watch knows what time it is. Man with two watches is never sure".

Use one scale (whatever scale you choose) and stick to it. Ignore all readings from all other scales. The weight it shows isn't as important as the change it shows over time. If it shows 180 this week and 174 a month from now, you've lost six pounds - whether it was actually 181 to 175, 178 to 172, 183 to 177 or whatever.
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Pick one and stay with it. I have a fitbit aria scale which gives you your BF as well. I dont take the BF to heart cause well they are just not a good accurate measurement for that I think. If you really want to know the deep truth find a Dexascan near you and pay for a scan.