Recomendation for a book on weightlifting for beginners.

Options
2»

Replies

• Vladaar
    Vladaar Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I like Arnold Schwarzenegger Encyclopedia to Bodybuilding. I think it is quite full of knowledge for those just beginning in lifting for strength to those who want to gain muscle mass.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Bill Pearl's "Getting Stronger: Weight Training for Men and Women".

Check your local library.

0679732691.jpg
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    I would recommend Strong Curves and New Rules of Lifting for Women. Both of these books gave straightforward advice and plans with lots of detail but in an easy language to understand.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

That link has a bunch of books, videos and links to programs to check out.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I've got Arnold's and Pearl's books. Bought them both over 30 yrs ago, when they were 1st published.

Haven't looked at either of them for years but they still would be useful if I needed to consider some isolation work or give myself a refresher on lifting options, but there's so much info in them that they really wouldn't be very useful for newbies; not focused enough.

Starting Stength is designed for and targeted specifically towards newbies. It focuses on the 4 main compound lifts and tells/shows you exactly how you should do them and why. No other book does that.

You can also supplement the book by watching the hrs of free instructional videos that Rip has posted on the Net. I've watched all of them and they're well worth the time.

You can also join the Starting Strength forum for free where you can actually ask Rip questions that he'll answer personally.

However, be careful if you decide to ask him something that's already been addressed repeatedly or involves something that's not part of the program. You'll get a very rude and non-PC response if you do. I seen it. LOL!

If that's too intimidating, you can also ask questions of certified SS coaches or other forum members as well. However, they can be equally rude.

Politeness and clean language generally prevail but are not strictly mandated on the SS forum. So, beware. If you think MFP is bad, you ain't seen nothing yet. ;)
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Starting Strength is excellent and it's a great program...that said, you need to understand what it is OP. It is a traditional strength training routine and basically a very novice intro to power lifting. I'm not sure of your age, but it may or may not be appropriate and it is going to solely focus on the barbell lifts and linear strength gains and not much else.

I have some friends my age and older that have used New Rules of Lifting for Life which is geared towards middle aged individuals who, yes...want to get stronger, but also want to focus on things like flexibility, mobility, and balance, etc and/or who may have certain limitations as it provides for variations of different lifts depending on those limitations. It integrates a lot more into the program than optimal strength.

The great thing about Starting Strength is that it does a really good job of illustrating how to do the primary compound movements...but as a program, it is really geared towards beginners who want to focus primarily on linear gains in strength and not much else.

New Rules of Lifting for Life is the first book I got. I really enjoyed it as a starting routine. There is a flexibility in the routine which allows for varying levels of fitness and equipment availability. I was 39 or 40 when I started. I had never touched weights before and was concerned about hurting myself. The program was exactly what I needed as a starting routine.