Cardio.....which machine?!?!?!?

Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,127 Member
    Options
    tlpina82 wrote: »
    A workout is not supposed to be pleasurable. if it is, you're not doing it right.

Bike, treadmill, elliptical whatever you like most, do it... Go as hard as you can for 30 to 45 minutes.
    But if your goal is to lose weight... Lift... Best way to lose and maintain a healthy weight is to increase your metabolism.

Wait . . . what?

Going as hard as I can for 30-45 minutes is fun. A little short, I admit, but fun - as long as I scale the effort up so it's appropriate to the short duration, of course.

Exercise is pleasurable, no question. Or should be. Body likes to move. (It's not essential to go super hard. It's not even a very good idea, for a beginner.)

I like rowing, but machine is less fun than boats. If you try the rowing machine, get instructions from someone knowledgeable, or at least watch the beginner video at concept2.com. Most people at most gyms, sadly, are doing it wrong. Potentially injuriously wrong, in fact. :(
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    A workout is not supposed to be pleasurable. if it is, you're not doing it right.

Bike, treadmill, elliptical whatever you like most, do it... Go as hard as you can for 30 to 45 minutes.
    But if your goal is to lose weight... Lift... Best way to lose and maintain a healthy weight is to increase your metabolism.

Wait . . . what?

Going as hard as I can for 30-45 minutes is fun. A little short, I admit, but fun - as long as I scale the effort up so it's appropriate to the short duration, of course.

Exercise is pleasurable, no question. Or should be. Body likes to move. (It's not essential to go super hard. It's not even a very good idea, for a beginner.)

I like rowing, but machine is less fun than boats. If you try the rowing machine, get instructions from someone knowledgeable, or at least watch the beginner video at concept2.com. Most people at most gyms, sadly, are doing it wrong. Potentially injuriously wrong, in fact. :(

Haha, unless I'm hiking or actually going out for a walk and it's nice out... typically I have to suffer through it, making it tolerable by watching shows... but it's definitely not 'fun'... I've tried a lot of things and never found anything I found fun, unfortunately (I'd like to try kick boxing classes but unfortunately that's not in the budget right now).
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I’m not really a fan of cardio machines, I’d rather walk/run outside, dance or kickbox. But I DO actually like recumbent bikes. I haaaate the regular stationary bike (which is all my new gym has), but really love recumbent bikes.
  • 2wise4u
    2wise4u Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Treadmill and elliptical are my favorites but I'd suggest anything you'll stick to long term! :smiley:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    morganbone wrote: »
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Whatever you can tolerate. I'm not a machine person. I do bodyweight intervals (at home).

I would just try a few, maybe one or two each time you go to find out what you like. It's going to vary person to person. I agree above, rowing would likely be my go to but lots of people on the forum like the elliptical.

This^

Figure out which machine you like the best, that's the one you will be more likely to continue even after you are done losing weight.

Exercise for health & fitness. Control your calorie intake for weight loss.

Thanks! So it's definitely more about calories compared to carbs to lose? Sorry im new to this healthy stuff...lol

Calories are king! Carbs don't matter at all unless they leave you hungry and unsatisfied. Many vegetarians eat a high carb diet. Focus on meeting protein goals though (going over is okay too). Look for dietary changes you want to continue because maintenance takes work.
  • Forever_mhm
    Forever_mhm Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    morganbone wrote: »
    Whatever you can tolerate. I'm not a machine person. I do bodyweight intervals (at home).

I would just try a few, maybe one or two each time you go to find out what you like. It's going to vary person to person. I agree above, rowing would likely be my go to but lots of people on the forum like the elliptical.

This^

Figure out which machine you like the best, that's the one you will be more likely to continue even after you are done losing weight.

Exercise for health & fitness. Control your calorie intake for weight loss.

Thanks! So it's definitely more about calories compared to carbs to lose? Sorry im new to this healthy stuff...lol

Calories are king! Carbs don't matter at all unless they leave you hungry and unsatisfied. Many vegetarians eat a high carb diet. Focus on meeting protein goals though (going over is okay too). Look for dietary changes you want to continue because maintenance takes work.

Thank you! :)
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options

Oh crap! You mean no more 20-30-40-50 mile bike rides, no more cross country hikes. I might as well JSF.
  • Dollfit09
    Dollfit09 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Obviously treadmill, but if you dont like running or have knee problems then I would suggest walking on a high incline on a treadmill or eliptical. You can play around with the incline and resistance and see what works for you. Rowing machine is another good one or stair master.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    Dollfit09 wrote: »
    Obviously treadmill, but if you dont like running or have knee problems then I would suggest walking on a high incline on a treadmill or eliptical. You can play around with the incline and resistance and see what works for you. Rowing machine is another good one or stair master.

No. High inclines put too much stress on the knees, cycling is a MUCH better high intensity/low impact cardio workout.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    ALWAYS. THE. STAIRMASTER. B)
  • rainingribbons
    rainingribbons Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    My personal favorite is to do the stairs. For me though, I'm also trying to tone up and stairs provide not only a fierce cardio burn, but also continue to tone up my thighs and butt.
    While I haven't tried it myself, some of my friends really enjoy the elliptical. It might be a good idea to try out the different machines to see which you prefer and can don't mind continuing.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    ALWAYS. THE. STAIRMASTER. B)

How very 90’s
  • Lesscookies1
    Lesscookies1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    My favorite cardio is rather cheap love to take a walk outside, and also walking up and down the step.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    My favorite is a stair stepper. I feel like I get more bang for my buck on that. I've never done a rowing machine but I think I'd enjoy it.
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    Elliptical using the Interval training. My machine does it in 2 minute intervals. 2 minutes of a higher incline and resistance and 2 minutes lower. Adjust the resistance to your level you can handle and I use the Strides to keep myself around 150 strides during the upper 2 minutes then relax and prepare on the lower.
  • Fight4URHAPPINESS
    Fight4URHAPPINESS Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Elliptical trainer is my fav ... i find the treadmill can be boring sometimes lol
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    When I'm looking to rack up a good burn I do 15-20 minutes on each of them! Sometimes I get bored or I'm not in the mood so the variety helps get it done. 20 minutes elliptical, 20 minutes stair stepper and then 20 minutes treadmill walk on a really good incline is one variation.