Raw Vegan

I started a raw vegan diet as of yesterday. Doing it for 14 days, I was motivated to try this after watching What the Health last month. I have been vegan for 8 and a half months. But trying to be healthier. Anyone raw vegan that can offer suggestions/support for me???

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Eating only raw food isn't healthier.
  • tiffaninghs
    tiffaninghs Posts: 200 Member
    KortneM wrote: »
    I started a raw vegan diet as of yesterday. Doing it for 14 days, I was motivated to try this after watching What the Health last month. I have been vegan for 8 and a half months. But trying to be healthier. Anyone raw vegan that can offer suggestions/support for me???

ive been plant based for two years and did raw vegan for an entire month. I also did lots of weight training at that time. I got so lean and looked great. I recommend getting well versed with ur dehydrator and ur food processor. im no longer into smoothies or juices so i ate lots of raw spirilized zuchinni and made raw sauces in my blender with cashew, garlic and avocado. i did do some oil based dressings that i made myself with grapeseed oil, cilantro, sea salt and lime and massaged that into kale along with avocado and roma tomatoes.. i ate alot of sundried tomatoes at this time.. ( i know the oil isnt raw, but yeah) I did plenty of fruit tray medleys and lots of watermelon.
    made plenty of hummus ( yeah i know it isnt raw) but i ate it with fresh crunchy veggies.. are u on IG? i chronicle my entire vegan life on there raw and cooked
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Eating only raw food isn't healthier.

This. There is lots of benefits to cooking food, and having a diet that includes both raw and cooked components. Eating only raw puts even more restrictions on your already restricted intake.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    What the Health is also a mockumentary. There are great resources about veganism but that isn't one of them.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Where are you getting your fats and protein from? How about micronutrients like iron? Yes, 2 cups of watermelon will give you 4% iron, but...

(From https://www.livescience.com/46019-watermelon-nutrition.html)
    Health risks

If eaten in reasonable amounts, watermelons should produce no serious side effects. If you eat an abundance of the fruit daily, however, you may experience problems from having too much lycopene or potassium.

The consumption of more than 30 mg of lycopene daily could potentially cause nausea, diarrhea, indigestion and bloating, according to the American Cancer Society.

People with serious hyperkalemia, or too much potassium in their blood, should probably not consume more than about one cup of watermelon a day, which has less than 140 mg of potassium. According to the National Institutes of Health, hyperkalemia can result in irregular heartbeats and other cardiovascular problems, as well as reduced muscle control.

Loading up on water-dense foods like watermelon can be tempting for those looking to lose weight because they help you feel full, but Lemond cautions against going to extremes. "Eating more fruits and vegetables of any kind naturally helps decrease overall calories (energy) of the diet," she said. "We know that people that eat higher quantities of fruits and vegetables typically have healthier body weights However, I do not recommend eating only watermelon … You will lose weight, but that weight will be mostly muscle."

Jarzabkowski also warned watermelon lovers to be mindful of their sugar intake. "Though watermelon's sugar is naturally occurring, [watermelon] is still relatively high in sugar."

"My recommendation is always to vary your selections," said Lemond. "Watermelon is a great hydrating food, so keep it in along with other plant foods that offer other benefits. Variety is always key."