Motivation when you have depression.

Options

Replies

• GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I'm going to echo a lot of other people here and recommend walking. Especially when combined with sunshine, trees, water, etc. In Japan they have a word, shinrin-yoku "forest bathing", for taking a walk through the woods for mental health.
  • Lennonluv2
    Lennonluv2 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    It's hard. For me, medication and therapy to treat the depression. And when the mood lifts the motivation comes back. It's not always so cut and dry however because so many meds for depression cause weight gain.

I have Bipolar disorder, so medication is a must. It took years but I'm finally on a weight neutral med.

I am on here right now looking for motivation. The more I read in these message boards, the better I feel.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling too. There is a lot going on in my life right now. It's hard. Sometimes I have to literally haul myself off my *kitten* and go to the garage where my makeshift gym is. I'm horribly impatient and this process...well, is a long process. The good thing is I never regret a workout, but I'd definitely regret missing one. The diet is much harder for me to reign in and I try to preplan as much as I can to avoid going over my limit. I have to keep telling myself that, even though I'm far from my goal, I'm SO much closer than I was six months ago. I'm stronger. My clothes fit differently. Others have noticed a subtle change. So I keep going.

I'm sorry that I don't have many (or any) words of wisdom, but just know that you aren't alone.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I experienced depression once, it was very strange. I felt so vulnerable, like I would not be able to handle normal daily stresses.
    My overall advice based on my own experience, is to gently steer yourself away from bad habits/patterns.
    I overcame depression with natural means, check out St. John's Wort (an herb), as a medically recognized means of support for healing from depression.
    Other supplements I took were recommended along with that herb, Omega's and vitamin D3. It takes 6 weeks to level out of depression.
    Also, regular exercise.
    Steer yourself back to regular sleep times, if that has been affected. The herb helps with that as well.

Give yourself not weeks, but months, to heal. It took me a solid 3 months to heal, and not feel like I was sliding down into depression again. I did feel "better" in 4 weeks. After 3 months, I slowly backed off the St. John's wort. Keep a bottle of the herb around for a period of time afterwards, just in case you need the support.
    I am completely healed now, I don't ever take the herb. Although I have kept a bottle on hand in the wintertime for the past few years, as that historically was my most vulnerable time due to lack of sunshine and stress combined.

I am glad you are feeling better and it sounds like you experienced a placebo effect with the St. John's Wart. That pill is not recognized as an effective tool in treating depression. (although it has been marketed as such) Also, there is no time frame "to level out", as each individual will experience different symptoms and severity levels of depression. There must have been other changes associated with your decrease in symptoms and feeling better, but it was not the St. Johns Wart.

I am just throwing this out there for the OP for additional information. Again, I am glad that you are feeling better. :flowerforyou:

Actually, St. John's Wort has been shown, in clinical trials, to treat certain kinds of depression, namely, acute varieties ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_John's_wort#Medicinal_uses ). So, she didn't necessarily get a placebo effect (though neither is it guaranteed to work for the original poster, but we won't get into the efficacy of antidepressants in general here).
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I'm a couple of weeks off meds because I don't really care and I don't feel so good. I am hoping that maybe changing my diet will save me $120 psychiatrist visit every three months and $30 a month in medication.

They say you lose weight on Wellbutrin but I didn't notice any change until I stopped then the scale went up. Way up.
    Gained 9lbs in 2 weeks, erased my last mfp account, got a new account

So much junk food, zero motivation. I'm not working out. I might when it cools down but I'm not dealing with my kids separation anxiety if I drop them off in the gym daycare and like hell I'm going outdoors when it's 100F outside.

I have a goal now so I am trying to stay mindful of eating much much less and cutting the junk food completely. I ran out of money last pay period, and I think Jack in the Box and Taco Bell had a lot to do with that.

That Oatmeal comic made me feel very uncomfortable.

I hope you discussed going off of meds with your doctor, and if not, I hope you make an appointment soon. A change in diet and exercise may be able to help some people and some symptoms, but other times medication is imperative to treatment.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    I'm going to echo a lot of other people here and recommend walking. Especially when combined with sunshine, trees, water, etc. In Japan they have a word, shinrin-yoku "forest bathing", for taking a walk through the woods for mental health.

Second this. Getting out in the sun prompts your body to create Vitamin D, which is known to help with depression. And being out in nature is just refreshing in general.
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    First off, if you have a good relationship with your doctor, go there first. Medication can make a huge, huge difference. Also I've found that things like D3, magnesium, and iron all seem to help me with energy levels.

Second, for me, exercise is something that I do at certain times of day. I've worked to get into a a schedule, and since I'm a creature of habit I'm more uncomfortable with falling out of the schedule than giving in to the not wanting to go. Sometimes I look forward to it, sometimes it's a hellish chore, but I remind myself that I *have* to keep going. If not for me, than for my daughter.

Anyway, that's what works for me. Try things, see what works for you. In the end, please remember that you're not alone.

Depression lies.

*hugs*
  • CharleneG_Barnes
    CharleneG_Barnes Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have suffered for most of my life (off and on) from clinical depression and after the battle to come off meds last time refuse to go back on this time....it has been a battle for a few weeks now and the only thing that gets me through is knowing that the black clouds will again pass. Im sorry that this does not help or offer much in the way of immediate relief. But if anyone wants to add me (to know that there are others on this journey who suffer and to try and get through together) please feel free to do so.
    There are no quick fixes but as I saw posted, eating poorly and not exercising do seem to make it worse (although thats all I crave, salt, sugar and sleep) I fight it with all I can.
    Please try to stay strong........and if you need medical help to get through maybe its right for you?
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    I'm a couple of weeks off meds because I don't really care and I don't feel so good. I am hoping that maybe changing my diet will save me $120 psychiatrist visit every three months and $30 a month in medication.

They say you lose weight on Wellbutrin but I didn't notice any change until I stopped then the scale went up. Way up.

So much junk food, zero motivation. I'm not working out. I might when it cools down but I'm not dealing with my kids separation anxiety if I drop them off in the gym daycare and like hell I'm going outdoors when it's 100F outside.

I have a goal now so I am trying to stay mindful of eating much much less and cutting the junk food completely. I ran out of money last pay period, and I think Jack in the Box and Taco Bell had a lot to do with that.

That doesn't sound like the effect of going off of your medication, other than that you've regressed. Please, go back to your doctor and go back on your medication. Spending a chunk of money every couple of months for something that was clearly helping you is a far cry better than going broke on junk food.
  • Sedna_51
    Sedna_51 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry. Being depressed completely bites.

I've been in and out of therapy and on Paxil for half my life (since I was 15). I have noticed a slight difference since I began to exercise and record what I eat, but it's certainly not the magic cure for me. I was talking about it with a friend yesterday and I compared exercise to a jump-start for your car. If the only problem is that the engine won't start, then jumper cables will fix it. But if it won't start, and the fuel line's broken, and there's no oil in the engine, and the timing belt is missing, and both rear tires are flat...well, you have to address those things before jumping the car will do any good.

Keeping up with exercise and a healthy diet requires a lot of slow, sustained effort. Depression sucks away all the energy you have and makes it so you're struggling just to stay upright. Do what you can to address the depression first. If some of that includes more exercise and other healthy activities, so much the better! But don't hesitate to go further afield if that's not fixing things for you. There are a lot of tools out there you can use.

Best of luck.
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    You've gotten some great advice so far, especially sticking to a schedule, that helps me so much. I've had major depression on and off since I was 13 years old. It's so hard to find a reason to do anything when it feels like nothing has a purpose or any meaning or does anything anyway.

A big breakthrough for me was realizing that motivation comes and goes, but commitment does not. I stopped waiting for motivation and committed to going to the gym at least 4 days each week- no matter what. I committed to healthy eating. Not specifically for weight loss, but for my physical and mental health. For me, when I feel physically strong, I feel mentally stronger, like I can overcome everything, even the black cave that is depression.
  • Sedna_51
    Options

That doesn't sound like the effect of going off of your medication, other than that you've regressed. Please, go back to your doctor and go back on your medication. Spending a chunk of money every couple of months for something that was clearly helping you is a far cry better than going broke on junk food.

I'm going to second this. Please, please talk to your doctor. Depression is horrible and self-sabotaging in the ways you're describing. And that does seem expensive, but think about it this way: it's $2.50 a day. If you were lying on the couch, absolutely miserable, and someone said, "I can make it so it's not a struggle to do the things you want. Just give me $2.50", would you take them up on it?
  • stephv38
    stephv38 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I like you. I am LIKE you! Your photos tell me allot. 3 out of 4 feature your kiddos.... One in particular tells me I may be correct in wondering if you have a bad case of "mommy-very-overwhelmed". I am in no means downplaying the seriousness or realness of clinical depression. But I also think that we moms aren't good at acknowledging what we do each day as a mom, and it can be depressing. And demotivating. You pour out your very life for these little ones, literally disappearing into this role of mom. Wife? Woman? Sister? Daughter? Friend? Who are they? :) You are immersed in bodily functions of others, spend hours in the minivan, try to avoid chicken nuggets for the 4th day in the row, hurt your foot on mini legos, referee combat matches and try to hear your own voice above the voice of Dora. You plan playdates, swim lessons, birthday parties. You make star charts, clean cherrios off the floor, take the pets to the vet and if you are lucky snuggle in a rocking chair to read a book to a tiny person. And that is all by 10am. Every day. And it never really looks like you got anything done! You want to take care of yourself, but that feels selfish and you kind of forgot what that looks like anyway. Again, please, I am not saying you arent depressed. In fact you may still have post-partum symptoms. And regardless, depression and overwhelmed can go very hand in hand. I did get out of the cycle, you can see some before pictures on my site. But I have to work on maintaining it every day. And lest you think I have turned into one of those women who "decide not to be a mom anymore".... My kids are still my life. I was up all last night with a constipated two year old and an 8 year old who had gotten a bad spider scare. My 4 and 5 year olds are up this morning by 6 and needing hammers to work on finding ants under the bark in the fallen tree outside.... But I am going to finish my coffee and change my clothes and hit the kettlebell. I know I will feel better. I did actually ask my doctor for antidpressants. For me the choice each day has often felt like I can either take an Rx or exercise. What is one thing you can do today? Take a walk? Throw an exercise video on? Plan to eat three healthy meals at the table instead of between picking up toys and changing the laundry? It can be done! I am pulling for you!
  • neskapolita1978
    neskapolita1978 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I should, I just keep forgetting
  • zjpq
    zjpq Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    you might look into and/or try:
    st john's wort
    a sublingual b12 tablet once or twice a day (check dosage, so get a smaller dose one) as you feel yourself especially dragging
    vitamin D and fish or krill oils
    rescue remedy

the B12 especially is helpful for me to get me up and going

ETA: I have 2 young kids, a bung thyroid and have been off and on meds (lexapro and wellbutrin) but both caused me to gain weight and killed sex drive so I try to help myself in other ways
  • hproskie
    hproskie Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Depression definitely makes it hard to get motivated. You constantly look for inspiration because you feel hopeless and helpless and you want that shining moment of realization that you CAN do it, but it doesn't work that way. On days that I feel like this, I do 2 things: 1) eat an apple and 2) walk 10 minutes.

Two small things that help immensely- First, eating an apple is something I do every day anyway, so if I'm depressed and laying in bed planning to do nothing that day but throw on my pj's and drive to McDonald's for some crap food, I tell myself that I have to eat an apple first, and I do. Well at that point, I've started my day off with a healthy choice; might as well keep going, right?

Second, Walking 10 minutes doesn't sound as bad as even walking for 30 minutes when I'm having a dark day, and really it's only 10 minutes, I can do that...so after being outside for 10 minutes I could turn around, but I rarely do. Sometimes I even have to break it down: put on your shoes and go outside...start walking. If you only do 10 minutes, well great, you just walked for 10 minutes, but I bet that at the 10-minute mark, you'll figure you can do 10 (or 20, 30, etc.) more...SECOND healthy choice of the day!

After these two simple things, I get in the shower, and usually after that I'm feeling better than I was when I woke up. I must admit that sometimes I still go for a fast food lunch, or sometimes I just crawl back in bed, but either way, I still have a sense of personal achievement, which, for me, is the biggest motivator. If I did it today, I can do it tomorrow, or do MORE tomorrow, and each healthy choice is a tiny victory in my journey to lead a healthier life.

I can't guarantee that it will work for you, but when your depression gets the best of you, make small, easy choices that are healthy, and be happy about each one. Not every day will be like this, you will get through. If you keep having this type of day, however, call your doctor...sometimes a prescription change is the best option.

:flowerforyou:
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I experienced depression once, it was very strange. I felt so vulnerable, like I would not be able to handle normal daily stresses.
    My overall advice based on my own experience, is to gently steer yourself away from bad habits/patterns.
    I overcame depression with natural means, check out St. John's Wort (an herb), as a medically recognized means of support for healing from depression.
    Other supplements I took were recommended along with that herb, Omega's and vitamin D3. It takes 6 weeks to level out of depression.
    Also, regular exercise.
    Steer yourself back to regular sleep times, if that has been affected. The herb helps with that as well.

Give yourself not weeks, but months, to heal. It took me a solid 3 months to heal, and not feel like I was sliding down into depression again. I did feel "better" in 4 weeks. After 3 months, I slowly backed off the St. John's wort. Keep a bottle of the herb around for a period of time afterwards, just in case you need the support.
    I am completely healed now, I don't ever take the herb. Although I have kept a bottle on hand in the wintertime for the past few years, as that historically was my most vulnerable time due to lack of sunshine and stress combined.

I am glad you are feeling better and it sounds like you experienced a placebo effect with the St. John's Wart. That pill is not recognized as an effective tool in treating depression. (although it has been marketed as such) Also, there is no time frame "to level out", as each individual will experience different symptoms and severity levels of depression. There must have been other changes associated with your decrease in symptoms and feeling better, but it was not the St. Johns Wart.

I am just throwing this out there for the OP for additional information. Again, I am glad that you are feeling better. :flowerforyou:
    Did you have some experience with depression and overcoming it? Why don't you share your experience.
    Not placebo. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/10/081007192435.htm
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    For me, recognizing it as depression is the first and biggest hurdle. I might be alone in this, but realizing, "This is my depression talking," I can fight it better. It's not that my life sucks, it's the depression. Things aren't any worse than they were a couple weeks or months ago, it's the depression. I think of it like wearing glasses or contacts. My funked up eyesight makes things look all out of focus. My depression treats my brain the same way... it makes it so I can't see the world clearly.

Once it's identified, I can fight it. I know exercising will make me feel better, so I force myself to do that. I know eating balanced meals will make me feel better, so I force myself to do that (usually after realizing that, as delicious as they are, Snickers Squared only make me feel better for a few minutes). I have to actively LOOK for things that make me happy and bring my joy, whether it's going for a walk with the dog, hiking alone, reading, painting, listening to really good music, coloring my hair, etc.
  • Sedna_51
    Options
    For me, recognizing it as depression is the first and biggest hurdle. I might be alone in this, but realizing, "This is my depression talking," I can fight it better. It's not that my life sucks, it's the depression. Things aren't any worse than they were a couple weeks or months ago, it's the depression. I think of it like wearing glasses or contacts. My funked up eyesight makes things look all out of focus. My depression treats my brain the same way... it makes it so I can't see the world clearly.

Once it's identified, I can fight it. I know exercising will make me feel better, so I force myself to do that. I know eating balanced meals will make me feel better, so I force myself to do that (usually after realizing that, as delicious as they are, Snickers Squared only make me feel better for a few minutes). I have to actively LOOK for things that make me happy and bring my joy, whether it's going for a walk with the dog, hiking alone, reading, painting, listening to really good music, coloring my hair, etc.

This works for me too. It took a long time (a lot of that in therapy) to learn how to recognize it, but if you can say to yourself "that's not me, that's the depression", it can help. Then it becomes something you can guard and fight against. It's like uncovering a saboteur in your head.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Also, regular exercise.

Actually, St. John's Wort has been shown, in clinical trials, to treat certain kinds of depression, namely, acute varieties ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_John's_wort#Medicinal_uses ). So, she didn't necessarily get a placebo effect (though neither is it guaranteed to work for the original poster, but we won't get into the efficacy of antidepressants in general here).

Fair enough for maybe situational (minor) depression, in working together with a medical professional due to St. Johns Wart not being regulated by the FDA as other meds. This is especially true because of the possibility of severe interactions if taking any other meds. (and you are right, we won't get into antidepressant efficacy here. :flowerforyou: )