Weight once on MFP "maintain"calorie target

Hi all!

I'm currently doing minimum of 1200-1400 calories a day, and losing a couple of pounds a week and I'm not too far from my goal weight now.
My only concern now is that once I reach my target weight and up my calories to what MFP recommends ( about 1700), that I'll put on weight! Has anyone done and that maintained successfully or have they gained?? Don't fancy being on 1200 calories for the rest of my life

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,731 Member
    If you are close to goal weight, it's past time to increase your calories. Set your goal to lose .5 each week. You need to learn how to eat at maintenance so you don't gain weight again. Best way to do that is to lose the last pounds slowly, so you know how much food is enough but not too much.
  • skeleton666
    skeleton666 Posts: 10 Member
    That makes sense people thank you.
    Think the key is to take it up in 100 calorie increments and gauge it from there.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Most of us in maintenance have the same fear. When you enter maintenance, it's common to see the scale move up a little from water weight fluctuation and even just a greater amount of food in your digestive tract. Many people increase their calorie goals slowly until they're no longer in a deficit. Your maintenance calories may or may not match what MFP recommends, so adding calories slowly helps you find your maintenance range. Congratulations, and looking forward to seeing you over on the maintenance board!
  • skeleton666
    skeleton666 Posts: 10 Member
    Thankyou all with your words of wisdom