Sashimi Size

Options
I'm taking my wife out for sushi tonight. I should be able to get a fair amount of sashimi and stay within my daily goal. However, that depends entirely on the size of each piece (e.g., 1 vs. 2 oz). What do you all do in such a situation? Ask the waiter/waitress if they have a guess re: the size? Bring a portable scale? Or am I greatly overthinking this?

Replies

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I'd just estimate and round up a bit. Sashimi is a wonderfully healthy - and a generally low-calorie - protein source, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Enjoy it!
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Overthinking. Please don't bring a scale to a restaurant. As others have said, sashimi is great protein and usually pretty low cal. Enjoy! The sushi that is a bit higher in calories is the deep fried 'crispy' rolls. but oh so delicious.
  • StatsGuy99
    StatsGuy99 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I'll try to stop overthinking things and just enjoy the sashimi. It'll be my reward for not eating any Halloween candy.
  • davidylin
    davidylin Posts: 228 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    If you or others still want to estimate, three ounces of fish may be approximated by volume as a checkbook. A decent sushi place will slice sashimi about as thick as a checkbook, so I'd say you can imagine each piece to be between one-third and two-thirds of an ounce. Beware that some fish as served are much fattier than others - eat them but track them too :)
  • jaedwa1
    jaedwa1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    bebeisfit wrote: »
    Overthinking. Please don't bring a scale to a restaurant. As others have said, sashimi is great protein and usually pretty low cal. Enjoy! The sushi that is a bit higher in calories is the deep fried 'crispy' rolls. but oh so delicious.

I have a portable scale just for these situations...sashimi is super easy to weigh. If it's burgers or something messy/complicated, I usually estimate...
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    StatsGuy99 wrote: »
    I'm taking my wife out for sushi tonight. I should be able to get a fair amount of sashimi and stay within my daily goal. However, that depends entirely on the size of each piece (e.g., 1 vs. 2 oz). What do you all do in such a situation? Ask the waiter/waitress if they have a guess re: the size? Bring a portable scale? Or am I greatly overthinking this?

About an ounce per piece of sashimi isn't an unreasonable guess. Don't overthink it though. I usually just guesstimate something like 40-50 calories per piece. This website is helpful:

http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-health/calories-in-sushi/
  • StatsGuy99
    StatsGuy99 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    jaedwa1 wrote: »
    bebeisfit wrote: »

I have a portable scale just for these situations...sashimi is super easy to weigh. If it's burgers or something messy/complicated, I usually estimate...

Glad to know I'm not the only one that's considered this!