Another Getting Back Into Running Thread...

Options
collectingblues
collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
edited November 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
At this point, I've been out for four weeks with a stress fracture. My ortho has said that if at my next appointment I'm pain free (so two more weeks), she will clear me to run small amounts -- starting out with 20 minute runs, then 30, then gradually increase from there as long as there's no increasing pain. Ideally, I'll be able to do a 5K Thanksgiving morning (the week after the follow up) -- we agreed that if she clears me to run, really, I could just walk most of the 5K if I had to, and that would at least make me feel better.

I have a half coming up in February that I would like to do decently at, but I'm also trying to adjust my expectations since I've had so much time off. I've done halves and 10Ks before -- I know I can do the distance. I've also been doing spin, swim, and barre during this time, so I should have some residual fitness there, even if I'm not at full peak.

After those first few acclimation weeks, I'm leaning toward starting out very gradually, and then by mid-December/Christmas, going back to my usual 20 MPW schedule -- and then backing down 10 days out from the half, like I would any taper period.

Does this seem rational?

I'll check with the ortho as well, of course.

Replies

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    She’s starting you with 20 Min of continuous running right out of the gate after a stress fracture? I don’t know your injury specifically, but most return to running plans are far more conservative (mine was 5 x 2 Min with lots of walking for 2 weeks, then building the running time by a min or so). Your aerobic fitness will be there for sure. But lots of us find it takes 6-8 weeks after injury before we’re running solidly to start any kind of real training. My PT told me to expect 12+ weeks. I hope you’re much faster than that.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I guess my question would be what caused the stress fracture? Has this been addressed? If not, going back to your normal workload seems like a bad idea. If it has been addressed (and it wasn't the workload that caused it), you should be able to get back to normal pretty quickly.
  • collectingblues
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    I guess my question would be what caused the stress fracture? Has this been addressed? If not, going back to your normal workload seems like a bad idea. If it has been addressed (and it wasn't the workload that caused it), you should be able to get back to normal pretty quickly.

Basically osteopenia and a history of calorie restriction (I broke a toe in that same foot in May). Those are being addressed.
  • collectingblues
    edited November 2017
    Options
    She’s starting you with 20 Min of continuous running right out of the gate after a stress fracture? I don’t know your injury specifically, but most return to running plans are far more conservative (mine was 5 x 2 Min with lots of walking for 2 weeks, then building the running time by a min or so). Your aerobic fitness will be there for sure. But lots of us find it takes 6-8 weeks after injury before we’re running solidly to start any kind of real training. My PT told me to expect 12+ weeks. I hope you’re much faster than that.

I do a run-walk blend -- so I don't continuously run, but I do a good pace. :) I've always joked that I'm horrible at speed, but I am fantastic at distance/endurance.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options

I do a run-walk blend -- so I don't continuously run, but I do a good pace. :) I've always joked that I'm horrible at speed, but I am fantastic at distance/endurance.

Same. I live the motto “marathons are like mullets; the party is in the back.”