Feeling TOO tired

Options
2»

Replies

• khalikhoopri
    khalikhoopri Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    amyrising wrote: »
    Have you tried cutting carbs, sugar and making sure you are getting adequate sodium intake? I have MS, Fibro, Psoriatic Arthritis, Chronic Fatigue and Bipolar disorder. The last 5 years I have had no energy at all. When I needed motivation I would fuel my body with sugar, caffeine and carbs. I gained 70 lbs which made my pain and fatigue way worse (if possible). I have now been eating low carb, no sugar and no grains. I have lost 1/2 my gained weight and finally have energy. I dont have cravings and Im not hungry. For the 1st time in almost 8 yrs im no longer anemic. My blood work was the best it has been in years and my blood pressure is down to "athletic" levels. I am currently only walking short distances for exercise. My doctor has agreed i can up the walks a bit and add some light floor exercises. I dont even need too, I have lost the fat, not my lean muscle. I hope you can get some answers, it's very frustrating and depressing to feel so drained all the time. Good luck!

Thanks so much.
    It is so inspiring to see someone like you who is dealing with so many health challenges, yet not making any excuses. I will check into macros, I already take very less sugar but I am big on grains as we are vegetarians. Keep up the great work, and keep on inspiring :)
  • khalikhoopri
    Options
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    Going another way, sleep apnea is really common especially in over-weight people. Maybe you should be tested.

Going next week :)
  • khalikhoopri
    Options
    I have taken my calories up to maintenance for this month, I have a feeling I was working out too much and not eating enough in the last month, I was eating about 1900 a day but I was exhausted, I also got blood work done, I get the results Monday. But in saying that, as soon as I started eating maintenance or close too I have been feeling much better.
    I also took most of the week off from the gym to give myself a little more of a rest and repair week. Mentally and Physically :)
    I hope you figure it out soon, It's hard being tired all the time.

Thanks, I hope so too
  • khalikhoopri
    Options
    Could be something as little as needing more water. If your pee is dark, you’re not drinking enough, it makes you tired and lose weight slower.

I think low water intake is one of the factors (as I also have a low BP). I will make a note of increasing my water intake. Thanks :)
  • khalikhoopri
    Options
    davidylin wrote: »
    Fatigue is one of the prime symptoms of hypothyroid. You may need to have your medication adjusted. Studies have shown that weight loss can affect how well your hormone replacement works.

Thanks! Got my thyroid tested and it seems like I have been maintaining well with respect to the current dosage. :)
  • khalikhoopri
    Options
    So, I worked with a 53yo lady who was 5'3" @ 200lbs that was eating 700 calories a day, not drinking any water (but lots and lots of 'energy drinks') and had absolutely no energy at all. Now, she did not have any medical conditions. So, please consider this response with a grain of salt.....

Here is what we did:

1. Increased her calories each week for six weeks. I went slowly with her because she got the first increase and had a hard time 'eating all this food'.
    2. Started drinking water....we started at three glasses of water a day and each week increased it by one glass. There comes a point in time - and it will be different for everyone - when you think that you just can not do that 'one more glass of water'. So, when that time comes - and it will - just stick with the current number and work in the "+1" as you can.
    3. Increased NEAT (take the stairs instead of the elevator, walk to the store that is 1/4 mile down the road instead of drive, etc).
    4. Don't worry about macros at this point. But, if you want to, concentrate on protein intake.
    5. Weened her off of the energy drinks. As in - no more, ever.
    6. Looked for positive, attractive substitutes (she was pretty much all carbs)

We did not work together after six weeks but in that time frame she actually lost several pounds and her energy level was through the roof.

So, notwithstanding medical conditions, the above really worked well for her.

We were going to start working on the macro breakdown but did not make it that far. Exercise (as in 'training') would have followed.

Hope that this helps and wish you really good luck | hard work with this....

Thanks so much for your insight. I would surely make the changes in my lifestyle. I take lots of coffee (in lieu of the energy drinks) may be I should cut down on that...and the evil diet soda! :(
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    You said you have "cleaned up your diet"...how many calories are you eating in a normal day? Average?

Have you "given" up caffeine lately?

I've been tired lately, but it's TOM and it's been rainy and gray as all get out. Do you think it might be a seasonal thing? I'm sure if it's some imbalance your tests will tell you.

Thanks for your input. Cleaned up my diet means, under 1200 cal and mostly taking fruits and veggies.

Think about eating MORE. I know you're trying to lose weight, but if you're this tired, then no way are you able to live your healthiest, more focused and effective life.

But to follow it up:
    Why are you eating 1,200 calories? Is that what MFP has you at?
    What are your stats (height, weight, age, sex)?
    What is your goal weight?
    How are you tracking your calories (do you use a food scale)?
    Are you getting enough protein to fuel your body? You mention mostly fruits and veg but fats, fiber, protein are all important components of a well rounded diet.

• khalikhoopri
    Options
    Hello all,

I feel EXTREMELY tired all the time!
    I am a 33 year old female with certain health challenges (arthritis, hypothyroid). I am 180 lbs (with an on and off relationship with MFP (need serious motivation)). Even though at times I have gone to gym 4-5 times a week (for an hour or so every day), cleaned up my diet, I feel very very tired all the times, and its not helping me attain my physical goals. I have recently gotten my yearly examination done (followed up by blood work), in the hopes of finding the underlying reason behind the tiredness. I am wondering if you guys had any tips/suggestions to deal with it in the meantime till I wait for my results.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. would also appreciate any pearls of wisdom in staying consistent and motivated.

Do you cut carbs when you 'clean up' your diet?

what are your stats and current calorie goal?

Yes I do cut carbs, my current stats are 33 years old Female, 5`6`` and at a frustrating 178 lbs! I Have not taken any other measurements. My goal is go get to a healthy weight (I assume around 145ish)
  • khalikhoopri
    Options
    It can be a lot of reasons honestly like others have pointed out. I also have arthritis along with other chronic illnesses and find that I'm always exhausted. If I have a day off, I'm usually sleeping most of the day. My rheumatologist said it's very common. Here's an article that better explains how inflammatory diseases/disorders cause fatigue. I hope you get some answers soon!

http://www.arthritis.org/living-with-arthritis/pain-management/fatigue/fatigue-and-arthritis-pain.php

Thanks very much! The article is very insightful. Good luck with your journey!
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

I am a 33 year old female with certain health challenges (arthritis, hypothyroid). I am 180 lbs (with an on and off relationship with MFP (need serious motivation)). Even though at times I have gone to gym 4-5 times a week (for an hour or so every day), cleaned up my diet, I feel very very tired all the times, and its not helping me attain my physical goals. I have recently gotten my yearly examination done (followed up by blood work), in the hopes of finding the underlying reason behind the tiredness. I am wondering if you guys had any tips/suggestions to deal with it in the meantime till I wait for my results.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. would also appreciate any pearls of wisdom in staying consistent and motivated.

Yes I do cut carbs, my current stats are 33 years old Female, 5`6`` and at a frustrating 178 lbs! I Have not taken any other measurements. My goal is go get to a healthy weight (I assume around 145ish)

Carbs are energy. Maybe your like me and do well eating all the carbs
  • khalikhoopri
    Options
    xxzenabxx wrote: »
    I think it's mainly from your thyroid, I know some one whose thyroid is sluggish and she's always tired! But try all the tips above and let's see how your blood tests come out.

Thanks for the input. My blood tests indicated a low level of iron, and my doc said that I could use multivitamins. I am already on both!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Likes others mentioned, bump up calories a bit.. probably 1400 to 1500. If you want, it might be worth doing a refeed where you set your calories at maintenance for a few weeks to help improve hormone health. Also, since you have cut carbs, i'd recommend increasing sodium since it's an electrolyte.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    You said you have "cleaned up your diet"...how many calories are you eating in a normal day? Average?

Have you "given" up caffeine lately?

I've been tired lately, but it's TOM and it's been rainy and gray as all get out. Do you think it might be a seasonal thing? I'm sure if it's some imbalance your tests will tell you.

Thanks for your input. Cleaned up my diet means, under 1200 cal and mostly taking fruits and veggies.
    This is the most likely answer. 1200 is the minimum number of calories that MFP recommends for women, so you shouldn't be under that. Additionally, there are only a small number of women for whom 1200 calories is an appropriate target.

What rate of loss did you select when you set up MFP? At 180 pounds, you're trying to lose, what, 40-50 pounds? 60 at the most? In that case, a rate of 2 pounds per week is probably too much; 1 to 1.5 pounds is more appropriate.

If you tell MFP you want to lose 1 or 1.5 pounds, what calorie goal does that give you?

For comparison's sake, I'm around your age and weigh about 118 pounds. I'm eating an average of 1475 calories per day to lose between 0.5 and 0.75 pounds per week. (I can't lose any faster because as you get lighter, your rate of loss slows down. Because you are at a higher current weight, you can also lose at a faster rate). There's no reason you should be eating significantly less than I am.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

Thanks in advance!

Change your calorie goal to lose 1lb per week, ensure you're getting enough fat and protein if you're eating mostly fruit and veg
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Im no doctor, but from your responses it seems that low iron and low BP could be the culprit. Plus low food intake overall which exacerbates your situation.