Protein shake - do I need it

Options
2»

Replies

• Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are meal substitutes. Nothing magical vs. "real food".

They are convenient.

You could also just eat a sandwich or a few hard boiled eggs.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Protein is good for post workout recovery. Add a bit of fiber, like a Fiber One bar and you'll be satisfied for a while. Protein gets you full faster, fiber keeps you full longer.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    A glass of 2% milk is an excellent after workout drink. A few carbs and a little protein is what you need. It doesn't have to be a fancy special product.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »
    Protein shakes are meal substitutes. Nothing magical vs. "real food".

They are convenient.

You could also just eat a sandwich or a few hard boiled eggs.

Most aren't.

• SchweddyGirl
    SchweddyGirl Posts: 244 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    It really depends on you. Do you want to use protein powder to hit your goals? Then use it. If you don't, then don't use it.

As far as myself, I use it if my schedule doesnt allow for meal alignment after workouts. For example, on Monday and Wednesday I get to workout before work. So I wake up (0500), have a quick breakfast (usually oatmeal), go workout (0600-0630 depending on what i do that day), go to work (0830) and use protein powder for recovery and as a morning snack.

I also sometimes use it to throw some protein in my breakfast smoothies and use it in cooking to boost protein content in recipes that would otherwise have little or none.