Weight loss has stopped

Options
So this might not be considered a plateau yet but I've been stuck at the same weight for going on 5 weeks now. I'm 5'4 and currently 128. My goal weight is 120. I still have much fat to lose. Any ideas how to jolt my weight loss again.
Before anyone asks, yes I use a food scale and I weigh myself in the morning after I use the restroom. My calorie budget was 1,200 but it went up randomly about 2-3 weeks ago to 1,500.

Replies

• kpeterson539
    kpeterson539 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    So this might not be considered a plateau yet but I've been stuck at the same weight for going on 5 weeks now. I'm 5'4 and currently 128. My goal weight is 120. I still have much fat to lose. Any ideas how to jolt my weight loss again.
    Before anyone asks, yes I use a food scale and I weigh myself in the morning after I use the restroom. My calorie budget was 1,200 but it went up randomly about 2-3 weeks ago to 1,500.

What exactly does the bold statement mean?
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Eight pounds is going to come off real slowly. Give it time, and just keep being accurate.

I know but I feel like I should of atleast lost 0.5 or a pound in those 5 weeks. :(
  • rickiimarieee
    edited November 2017
    Options

What exactly does the bold statement mean?

My calorie budget was at 1,200 and about 2 weeks ago when I was logging my food for the day It went up to 1,500. It wasn't due to weight loss because I've been at the same weight. And my activity level is still the same
  • Lesscookies1
    Lesscookies1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    How are you tracking your food intake? Are you using a food scale? You're at a healthy weight, so your accuracy has to be spot on if you're trying to lose he last few pounds. Tighten up the logging if you're not already doing so.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I've read that the leaner you are (closer to goal weight), the less the daily deficit must be, and if you 'cycle' your calories by eating very low and then high on different days that you should never eat above maintenance on your higher calorie days. This means it will take longer to lose the last 10 pounds than it did the previous, lets say, 50.

Just the other day I saw an interesting podcast talking along these lines and it stressed that a higher calorie or carb day will take a few days to work off the residual water gain in muscle tissue and fat stores that carbs carry with them. Thus, if you are going to eat high on a day, do not do more than 1 day at a time and allow at least 4 days in between with deficit calories .... that said, a small deficit of 5% or 10% of maintenance calories. And on the day(s) you do load more food into yourself it should be carbs the day before you work your body hard in exercise. ....

That said, I don't do this, because I still have a very large amount of weight to lose, but I saw the podcast and then I saw your post and something clicked in me to share this info with you.

PS ... and don't skimp on the protein!
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    How are you tracking your food intake? Are you using a food scale? You're at a healthy weight, so your accuracy has to be spot on if you're trying to lose he last few pounds. Tighten up the logging if you're not already doing so.

I use measuring cups and spoons and electric food scale
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    "Much fat to lose" I think not... is that a current photo? You look really lean to me. Your logging has to be ultra tight
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    OP the problem is that half a lb per week over 5 weeks is 2.5 lbs which could really easily hide behind water weight fluctuations. Some things to think about:

Is the scale going up and down over this time, or is it reading the exact same weight the whole time? If it hasn't moved at all, change the batteries.

Consider focusing on a non weight goal for a couple of months. Some kind of fitness or behavior goal. Maybe don't even weigh yourself for a few of weeks.

Consider working on recomping rather than losing weight. You are at a healthy weight for your height, so eating at maintenance and focusing on strength training may make a bigger change in your physique than dieting at this point.

Once you are under 10 lbs left, especially when you are already at a healthy weight, the challenge is that normal weight fluctuations can easily mask fat loss on a week to week basis and make scale watching miserable. I'm 5'4 and hovering between 125-130. I'm fine where I am, but still trying to figure out whether dieting off another 5-10 is worth it, or whether to keep focusing on fitness/muscle building instead. First world problems but the struggle is real lol :blush:

I’m a skinny fat at this point, I’m skinny everywhere except for my thighs and stomach, stomach is basically a lot of extra skin from pregnancy so I look a lot bigger than I am and I’ve always just had big thighs.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

I use measuring cups and spoons and electric food scale

Are you using the food scale for all solids?
  • jamfullhouse
    jamfullhouse Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Could it be you have gained some muscle back?
  • sardelsa
    Options
    OP the problem is that half a lb per week over 5 weeks is 2.5 lbs which could really easily hide behind water weight fluctuations. Some things to think about:

Is the scale going up and down over this time, or is it reading the exact same weight the whole time? If it hasn't moved at all, change the batteries.

Consider focusing on a non weight goal for a couple of months. Some kind of fitness or behavior goal. Maybe don't even weigh yourself for a few of weeks.

Consider working on recomping rather than losing weight. You are at a healthy weight for your height, so eating at maintenance and focusing on strength training may make a bigger change in your physique than dieting at this point.

Once you are under 10 lbs left, especially when you are already at a healthy weight, the challenge is that normal weight fluctuations can easily mask fat loss on a week to week basis and make scale watching miserable. I'm 5'4 and hovering between 125-130. I'm fine where I am, but still trying to figure out whether dieting off another 5-10 is worth it, or whether to keep focusing on fitness/muscle building instead. First world problems but the struggle is real lol :blush:

I’m a skinny fat at this point, I’m skinny everywhere except for my thighs and stomach, stomach is basically a lot of extra skin from pregnancy so I look a lot bigger than I am and I’ve always just had big thighs.

Having fat on your body does not equal skinny fat. You definitely do not look big. At all.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Could it be you have gained some muscle back?

Nope
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

Having fat on your body does not equal skinny fat. You definitely do not look big. At all.

Doesn't skinny fat mean you have a bf% over 30? Op definitely doesn't
  • sardelsa
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

Doesn't skinny fat mean you have a bf% over 30? Op definitely doesn't

Yea I duno the strict definition (since tbh I hate that term) but if that pic is current I am not seeing it....