Options
2»

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    nicleed wrote: »
    No need to weigh everyday, you will go insane if it goes up (because weight loss is not linear) . Weigh once or twice a week.

As long as you understand the fluctuations and don’t let them discourage you, there’s nothing wrong with weighing daily

Yes, but seriously, given his many posts/threads just on this one subject, does OP really strike you as someone who's going to take fluctuations calmly?

Honestly I’ve given up on helping the OP
  • Blythmag
    Blythmag Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    OP needs banned.

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    @geminigemz90, you may find it helpful to get a mentor to help you navigate this site and your weight loss goals.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10488972/2017-adopt-a-noob-discussion/p1

Cheers, h.
  • theabsentmindednurse
    theabsentmindednurse Posts: 405 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Ditch the scales.
    It can become obsessive.
    Use other ways to measure progress.
    Take regular photos and measurements.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    it doesnt make a difference what day.

why would it?

(Not directed to the OP's situation)

Of course it can make a difference. I weigh daily and usually go out at least one night on the weekend. My Friday morning is usually my best weigh-in day as I've been good and saved some calories for the weekend and then tend to go carb heavy on the weekend so Sunday/Monday are high. Not over my weekly allowance for calories, but a bunch of water weight.

It's why I prefer weighing daily, but if I was doing it once a week, Friday would be my choice.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

why would it?

Of course it can make a difference. I weigh daily and usually go out at least one night on the weekend. My Friday morning is usually my best weigh-in day as I've been good and saved some calories for the weekend and then tend to go carb heavy on the weekend so Sunday/Monday are high. Not over my weekly allowance for calories, but a bunch of water weight.

It's why I prefer weighing daily, but if I was doing it once a week, Friday would be my choice.

And even then 1 higher sodium meal on wed-thurs would make your friday weigh in inaccurate. Why i weigh often it doesnt feel obsessive to me to take a second a few times a day to step on the scale as i pass. Has allowed me to see how my body reacts throughout the day, Eating different things, different hydration levels- And on a monthly basis -cough- Aswell as when im stressed i shoot up 3 pounds. On work days i lose 2 pounds and my days off i gain 1. I go to bed weighing 4-6 pounds more thn when i wake. Now if i didnt weigh often enough to learn all this about my weight those fluctuations would drive me mad.

Iv never been one to overly care about the weight number i know when im on the right track, But i am a math person and highly logical and find the data relaxing to focus on...so the extra data points has definatly calmed me.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    No need to weigh everyday, you will go insane if it goes up (because weight loss is not linear) . Weigh once or twice a week.

As long as you understand the fluctuations and don’t let them discourage you, there’s nothing wrong with weighing daily

Yes, but seriously, given his many posts/threads just on this one subject, does OP really strike you as someone who's going to take fluctuations calmly?

oh, am i supposed to freak out at the 5 pound 'gain' cause that time of month is coming up? i must have missed the memo LOLOLOLOLOLOL

I'm really not sure what your point is. I don't think TOM applies to the OP, whose profile identifies him as male. I'm missing the joke.

apparently :/

as (most of us) know, weight fluctuations are normal. for a variety of reasons. no mater the reason, its no reason to flip out.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options

why would it?

It is exactly the same for me… Friday mornings are my best time and Monday mornings my worst. As long as the scale is downwards or the same and doesn't go up at the end of the week I can live with that!
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I would agree.

Good. Then why do you seem to be so worried about it?

I am not weighing myself everyday

Who is stopping you?

I mean you did agree above that weighing yourself every day is a good idea because it gives you more sampling points and enables you to better home in on to your true weight level. Yet you don't weigh yourself everyday and are stressing over your next weigh in event.

He just agreed. He gave no such reason haha
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I am wanting to weigh myself on the weekend because it’s the quietest day of the week for me.
    My question is does weighing day on the weekend different as far as routine. Does anyone get anxious when they do not weigh them self’s for an extended part.

I weigh myself every Sunday morning and have for years. I have tried daily weighing and even though I understand fluctuations are normal I find focusing on the scale that much is bad for my mental health.
    Times when I have not use a scale for long periods (months/years) I generally maintained or gained a bit. I did not lose weight. It didn't make me anxious because I was in a *kitten* it period and didn't care about my weight much.
    If you are eating at a calorie deficit you will lose weight whether you step on the scale or not. A scale provides information on your weight at that moment not magic weight loss. The more data you have the more you can compare and understand. You might misinterpret information if you weigh only once a month or even less often.
    Pick something that works for you and be consistent. Daily, weekly, monthly weighing or measuring your progress other ways. Just pick something.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

oh, am i supposed to freak out at the 5 pound 'gain' cause that time of month is coming up? i must have missed the memo LOLOLOLOLOLOL

I'm really not sure what your point is. I don't think TOM applies to the OP, whose profile identifies him as male. I'm missing the joke.

apparently :/

as (most of us) know, weight fluctuations are normal. for a variety of reasons. no mater the reason, its no reason to flip out.

Judging from the number of threads I see about this, most people don't know weight fluctuations are normal. And for those that do have a hard time dealing with it, there is no reason to weigh daily. I think that was the point you were missing.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    @Dnarules -- There is all kinds of reasons to weigh daily.

Weekly weigh ins to me are not a good way to learn about whats going on inside your body.

Getting a number once a week.. it could be lower.. but what are you learning about fluctuations? Not a thing cause you are just visiting the scale like its a vacation.

Personally i like it to be my second home. I have learned how sodium retains tons of water in my body. I have learned that the amount of days for that sodium to leave my body is different in length of time then someone else. I have learned when to expect the scale to go up and go back down for PMS, I have learned how much i water i need to replace in my body after a big workout.

The problem is not the daily weigh ins.. its that despite the fact that people are here losing weight, they are newbies, their concept of pretty much everything weight related hasn't even scratched the surface of what they could learn. To them scale = im fatter or Scale = less fat or Scale = still the same fat

Its a very cave man concept of a scale and not only that two of those three options are considered a fail immediately and require a panic button. Either way, a weekly weigh in is eventually going to give a higher weight then before or a stalled weight. They are still going to come to the boards in panic and ask what is going on. Its only when people seek knowledge of the changes they are choosing to make that makes a difference.

I weigh daily. That wasn't my point :).