Powerful diet pop addiction

Options
Twenty days ago I quit a daily fast food cycle, quit all sugar and artificially sweetened beverages, have stayed successfully at 1350 calories for inactive days and 1500 for active days, have quit the daily candy down to once a week and have been much more discriminating in my food choices. It's been going well. Sleeping better, down 4 pounds, feeling good. The only thing bugging me is my mouth CONSTANTLY wants diet pop in it. Water no matter how much just does not satisfy. It's the weirdest thing. The first week I quit the headaches and severe knee pains were brutal. Those are gone now 20 days in but this faux thirst thing persists. Anyone have any idea how long this lasts.
Ps please don't respond telling me to corrupt my plan and just drink it. I wont. I believe with absolute certainty it's terrible for MY body. I'm just looking for people that have experienced similar.

Replies

• Vonny198334
    Vonny198334 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I hear you, I used to be partial to diet coke but it gave me terrible bloating. I'd stop long enough to forget how it made me feel, decide to have some & then regret it an hour later when my tummy was super sore!

I drink still water & a couple of coffees a day but every so often I will really want a wee bit fizz. My solution was the odd sparkling water & apple and elderflower fizzy juice as a treat. For some odd reason, these don't make me feel bloated. Finding substitutes that work for me has been invaluable during this weight loss malarky...they make me feel as if I'm not deprived of anything.

Can't remember how long it lasted before I adjusted & barely ever missed it, but at 20 days you've got some good time under your belt! Hopefully someone in the know will respond with better answers for you.

Best luck :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    It's not an "addiction" thing, it's a habitual behavior that's still prevailing in your mind. It may NEVER go away especially if you correlate good feelings when you were drinking it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Why do you believe diet soda is terrible for your body?

Because it is.

Do you have a source for that?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,240 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to drink diet pop, all power to you, however, don't justify it with groundless statements that it is unhealthy. At the very least give a rational reason.

As for stopping it, you may need to find something else to flavor your water with, a squeeze of lemon or orange. If it is the bubbles, get a soda stream and carbonate up the water by adding CO2.
  • Bughunter99
    Bughunter99 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to drink diet pop, all power to you, however, don't justify it with groundless statements that it is unhealthy. At the very least give a rational reason.

As for stopping it, you may need to find something else to flavor your water with, a squeeze of lemon or orange. If it is the bubbles, get a soda stream and carbonate up the water by adding CO2.

http://clark.com/health-health-care/diet-soda-risks-diet-coke/
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Club soda, Perrier, LaCroix, San Pellegrino
  • Bughunter99
    Options
    This weekend I finally found a water that is satisfying, it's called Core.
    I'm also playing with adding a bit of mint leaf to regular water which seems to help.
  • Bughunter99
    Options

Because it is.

• Bughunter99
    Options

Because it is.

Sorry but this is an opinion blog... how about a non bias study?

The blog lists the studies. Try Google if interested.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

Because it is.

There's a lot of cherry picking and correlation not causation going on in that blog.