Help on recipe portions

Options
Does anyone know how to define a portion on a recipe? I made some homemade soup and I input everything into the recipe builder. Then it asks how many serving sizes are in it. With something like a soup or stew how do you know exactly how many serving sizes there are? I usually start with a broth (4 cups) and just add veggies that are hanging around in the fridge. Is it based by cup measurements? Sorry bit of a dumb question.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You decide how many servings a recipe yields. How much do you want to eat? How many calories do you want your meal to have? If you weigh the stew/soup (net weight), and set 1 serving to be 1 gram, you can just serve yourself, weigh that portion, and log it just like any other food. (Hope that made sense.)
  • Luv2eatSweets
    Luv2eatSweets Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I figured it had to be as simple as weighing, but wanted to be sure.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    There are basically two options: by volume or by weight.

By volume: after cooking, take a large storage container or other pot, then use a measuring cup to measure out the entire batch cup by cup. When there is only a part of a cup left, fill the rest of the measuring cup with water (0 Cals) and record the total number of cups you have. Log by portion of cups.

By weight: after cooking, place large container on food scale, tare scale, place entire batch into container, record total weight. Set number of servings to total weight, or pick a convenient weight serving size (I pick 230g which is approximately equivalent to 1 US measuring cup). In this case, divide total weight of batch by 230g or whatever portion weight you chose (I usually will add enough water to make the total weight equal to a multiple of 230g). If the total weight is too much for the scale, I will weigh parts of the batch then add those weights together to get the final total weight.