Chives

Options
2»

Replies

• mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    Order a plant, if you can. They take a long time from seed to get big enough to harvest much.

No need to order a plant. Just plant the ones that you buy from the supermarket (you can even plant them after you've used the tops). We started our chives & green onions this way three years ago and now we have a raised box full every year. They keep coming back!

interesting. i tried the "regrow scallions in water" trick. worked well, but got flavorless after a couple of trimmings, plus i started to worry about salmonella from the water (in the same manner as standing water and fresh sprouts). should've just planted them as nature intended, lol.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I keep a jar of freeze-dried chives in my pantry, but you don't use them up in a few months they lose their flavor. The freeze-dried version is fairly expensive so growing your own is a great option.
  • Imnotreal696
    Imnotreal696 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've lived in two different areas of Virginia and in both cases we had basically chives growing in our lawn.
    Some people called them wild onions but if you pulled up a plant there would be hardly any bulb in the root.
    They would tend to grow faster than the grass so the lawn would have tufts of taller round green stems all over it.
    Mowing the lawn resulted in a mouth watering scent.
    Be aware of any chemicals that you apply to your lawn might not be good for you.

Along the same line (food sources in your lawn) are you aware that puff balls (fungi) are quite tasty if you harvest them right after they appear? Slice one and it will be solid white flesh that cooks up nice anywhere mushrooms can be used.
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    I've lived in two different areas of Virginia and in both cases we had basically chives growing in our lawn.
    Some people called them wild onions but if you pulled up a plant there would be hardly any bulb in the root.
    They would tend to grow faster than the grass so the lawn would have tufts of taller round green stems all over it.
    Mowing the lawn resulted in a mouth watering scent.
    Be aware of any chemicals that you apply to your lawn might not be good for you.

I've picked bunches of these, chopped them and stuck them in the freezer in a ziplock bag. By giving the bag a smack on the counter to loosen them up, you can sprinkle the amount you want.