Ladies Who Lose on 1650?

Options
fitsarahxoxoxo
fitsarahxoxoxo Posts: 14 Member
edited November 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey. So this is totally silly, but here goes. I've got 20 lbs I'd like to lose in the next 4 months. Doable, right? Both MFP and another TDEE calculator I found put me eating around 1700 calories a day to lose a pound a week, but that sounds like so much. I'm pretty active so I guess that's why, but it seems like fitness magazines are always tossing out like 1200 or 1500 as numbers for women to shoot for. So, just to reassure my paranoid self, are there any of you out there who are women who have lost weight on 1650 a day? I'd love to hear from you! :smiley:

--Sarah

Replies

• fitsarahxoxoxo
    Options
    P.S. just a bit more info. I'm 5'6" and weigh 145 with 125 as my goal by March 1. My TDEE comes out as 2160 (so eat 1660 to lose weight) and MFP has me netting 1470 and I should burn 200ish in daily workouts, so essentially I've got 2 pretty good sources telling me 1650ish is where I should be...
  • fitsarahxoxoxo
    Options
    That's awesome fernt21! Thanks!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I previously lost 10 lbs/mo on 1600/day
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I lose with an average gross intake of 1600-1700/day. My TDEE is 2000-2200 ish.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I'm eating around 1700-2000 a day and losing just fine :)
  • coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I lose on 1790
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,882 Member
    Options
    I'm in maintenance, trying to slowly creep back a few pounds into goal range. I lose - admittedly slowly - on 1850 net most days, and a day or two ever week or so at maybe 3000+ . . . at 5'5", 128 pounds today, 62 y/o in a couple of weeks.

Everyone is different. No one else's individual experience determines yours.

Believing the so-called calculators - which estimate, not calculate - is your best starting bet. Try it for a month (6 weeks for premenopausal women), then adjust based on your results.

BTW: If 20 pounds is all you have to lose, 5 pounds a month could be riskily fast. Something between half a pound and a pound a week now, shrinking to half a pound later, would be safer.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I lose on that. My TDEE is around 2100-2200.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    utahlates wrote: »
    Hey. So this is totally silly, but here goes. I've got 20 lbs I'd like to lose in the next 4 months. Doable, right? Both MFP and another TDEE calculator I found put me eating around 1700 calories a day to lose a pound a week, but that sounds like so much. I'm pretty active so I guess that's why, but it seems like fitness magazines are always tossing out like 1200 or 1500 as numbers for women to shoot for. So, just to reassure my paranoid self, are there any of you out there who are women who have lost weight on 1650 a day? I'd love to hear from you! :smiley:

--Sarah

From 225 to 155, before settling around 160 because I felt better there. 1650 was definitely a good calorie intake for me to lose. Took around 8 months
  • chispaza
    chispaza Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'm same height and weight as you and I'm losing on 1650 calories