How do i spice up this chicken stew?

Options
imanibelle
imanibelle Posts: 130 Member
I put a chicken carcass in a pot with rosemary, thyme, basil, oregano, garlic and onion powder, salt, pepper and paprika and thickened the gravy with flour and butter. I stewed for an hour, bit it tastes kind of bland. What can I do to make it taste great?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I can’t taste it from here.
    Next time try roasting the bones before you stew them.
    Flour can cut the other flavours.
    Start with salt and pepper.
  • imanibelle
    Options
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    White wine or sherry. If you don't use alcohol, citrus or balsamic vinegar. When people say something tastes bland, usually they mean the sour flavor, which is necessary for depth, is missing.

Definitely roast (sweat any vegetables) before stewing, then deglaze the pan with your sour ingredient. Then stew.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Some worcestershire sauce or lemon juice
    More of what you added already. Pepper, salt, garlic or onion.
    Vegetables- carrot, celery, peas, tomatoes or tomato sauce
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    red pepper flakes, tobasco, lemon, wine, bbq sauce. Cumin, and chili powder.
  • imanibelle
    Options
    Thanks, everybody. I have red pepper, chili powder, cumin and lemon juice. I'll try your suggestions.
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Options
    If you use lemon, chili powder, and cumin, try serving w some chunks of avocado and fried corn tortilla strips (if you have the calories to spare).
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    White wine or sherry. If you don't use alcohol, citrus or balsamic vinegar. When people say something tastes bland, usually they mean the sour flavor, which is necessary for depth, is missing.

Definitely roast (sweat any vegetables) before stewing, then deglaze the pan with your sour ingredient. Then stew.

Wow....I know I am not a cook! This is greek to me. Sweating vegetables is like steaming?
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Options
    dsboohead wrote: »

Wow....I know I am not a cook! This is greek to me. Sweating vegetables is like steaming?

No, you sprinkle them w a little salt, cover them, and cook on lowish heat to break them down so they are tender. There will be a liquid and it will start to carmelize to the pan (not burn). You add water, or wine, to deglaze the pan.
  • ZedTop
    ZedTop Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    you need a bit of salt to bring out flavour, and make sure next time to reduce amount of broth or water at the start of cooking if it is bland after adding all the ingredients that you listed.