Insanity DVD work out

Options
I started the insanity DVD work out yesterday (I haven't worked out in a little bit) and I'm so so sore. I was reading through the forums on the website and most people recommend taking some acetaminophen the first couple of weeks to work through it, but I feel like that's masking the pain and could lead to more injury? I was wondering if I should do my day 2 DVD or skip today and do some stretching? I'm 20 minutes through the video for tonight and I'm just so sore I don't want to damage my muscles.

Replies

• Lesscookies1
    Lesscookies1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I would recommend not taking the medication. I know it's a super intense workout, so taking a break may be a good idea, and starting back up again.

Good luck!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I started the insanity DVD work out yesterday (I haven't worked out in a little bit) and I'm so so sore. I was reading through the forums on the website and most people recommend taking some acetaminophen the first couple of weeks to work through it, but I feel like that's masking the pain and could lead to more injury? I was wondering if I should do my day 2 DVD or skip today and do some stretching? I'm 20 minutes through the video for tonight and I'm just so sore I don't want to damage my muscles.

Ibuprofen would be better if you feel the need for a painkiller, but I don't often see people suggesting you take anything to get through a work out.

Insanity isn't really a beginner workout so you may want to ease yourself in more slowly.

Stretching is always good, plus make sure you're getting enough protein to help your muscles.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options

Ibuprofen would be better if you feel the need for a painkiller, but I don't often see people suggesting you take anything to get through a work out.

Insanity isn't really a beginner workout so you may want to ease yourself in more slowly.

Stretching is always good, plus make sure you're getting enough protein to help your muscles.

^^This.

If it's the regular 35 minutes or so workout version, you would do better to go through an easier program to ramp yourself up. Insanity is difficult. I've done some of them as fill-ins and could not have completed them at all without having done some easier stuff over time first.

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I've done Insanity, it is no joke, you should maybe do some lower intensity stuff on Youtube to build first.

Nothing wrong with a basic pain killer to ease some soreness but yes, ibuprofen is probably better.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    You shouldn’t need any medication to get through Insanity. If you do than it isn’t the right program for you right now.

Also, always make sure you are stretching before and after and work at your own pace. You don’t need to do as many reps as Shaun T or go as fast as he does.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    You shouldn’t need any medication to get through Insanity. If you do than it isn’t the right program for you right now.

Also, always make sure you are stretching before and after and work at your own pace. You don’t need to do as many reps as Shaun T or go as fast as he does.

In the insanity videos they have you stretching and warming up and cooling down. I think the majority of my soreness actually came from the stretching part.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »

In the insanity videos they have you stretching and warming up and cooling down. I think the majority of my soreness actually came from the stretching part.

i've completed insanity so i know what the programme entails.

sounds like you are trying to force a stretch more than you should be, stretching shouldn't be painful.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    Yeah I know it is intense, I go at my own pace though until I build it up. I’m still extremely sore I’m having a hard time just walking, so I’ve been skipping them and just stretching. If it gets too much during the videos I pause it and take a break and when I’m ready I go back into it.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    I find getting another workout in (within reason of muscle soreness) helps massively as opposed to just waiting it out. Back when I did it I was pretty unfit but I never skipped a day.
  • maura_tasi
    maura_tasi Posts: 196 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Hey girlfriend! Have you considered taking a break from insanity and looking into less intense programs? I've been doing fitness blender videos (all free) and I'm getting great workouts without that intense soreness. Don't get me wrong, I definitely feel it the next day! But it doesn't hurt so bad that I have to skip a day or two. They have every level type and literally like 1,000 videos posted on their website. I don't think it would hurt to do a few weeks of something less intense to give your body time to develop new strengths and then give it another go. If you want to continue with insanity my advice would be to add extra stretching in before the video and extra after the video. I find that the warmups and cool downs in fitness videos aren't enough for me so I give myself extra time. Stretch to the point where you feel it in your muscles but it shouldn't hurt! It should feel good and help relieve the soreness. But if insanity is really causing you this much soreness I'd step away from it for a bit because it won't be as effective if your body is constantly hurting!
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    I find getting another workout in (within reason of muscle soreness) helps massively as opposed to just waiting it out. Back when I did it I was pretty unfit but I never skipped a day.
    I tried to keep going and not skip a day but in the middle of the video I was so sore to the point I couldn’t do the exercises like squat jumps. I’ll look into less physically demanding work outs and work my way back into insanity
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    maura_tasi wrote: »
    Hey girlfriend! Have you considered taking a break from insanity and looking into less intense programs? I've been doing fitness blender videos (all free) and I'm getting great workouts without that intense soreness. Don't get me wrong, I definitely feel it the next day! But it doesn't hurt so bad that I have to skip a day or two. They have every level type and literally like 1,000 videos posted on their website. I don't think it would hurt to do a few weeks of something less intense to give your body time to develop new strengths and then give it another go. If you want to continue with insanity my advice would be to add extra stretching in before the video and extra after the video. I find that the warmups and cool downs in fitness videos aren't enough for me so I give myself extra time. Stretch to the point where you feel it in your muscles but it shouldn't hurt! It should feel good and help relieve the soreness. But if insanity is really causing you this much soreness I'd step away from it for a bit because it won't be as effective if your body is constantly hurting!

That’s a great idea! I can’t at the point tell if it’s from insanity or if it’s muscle cramps from being bit by a poisonous spider but I’m waiting it off until the soreness goes away
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    I would highly recommend Fitness Blender too. They're pretty much all I use now.