Do You Use %MHR Or %HRR For Your Heart Rate Training?

2»

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    LTHR and RPE here as well.

Trail running doesn't really support HR based training though, particularly technical.

I love trail running.

I don's see why it doesn't support HR training though?

Consistency. Much of the value of HR training Congress from controlling other variables, so it's ideal on a track where elevation and surface quality don't change. Canal towpaths and similar aren't too bad.

Given response lag, and HR drift, particularly in a long session there are too many variables.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    edited November 2017
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    LTHR and RPE here as well.

Trail running doesn't really support HR based training though, particularly technical.

I love trail running.

I don's see why it doesn't support HR training though?

Consistency. Much of the value of HR training Congress from controlling other variables, so it's ideal on a track where elevation and surface quality don't change. Canal towpaths and similar aren't too bad.

Given response lag, and HR drift, particularly in a long session there are too many variables.

So you're saying flat level surfaces are best correct?

I am just an old dude trying to get to a better fitness level, so I look at things from a much more basic stand point.

I try to keep my heart rate in x zone for x number of minutes, and i get x training effect.

I do use a Garmin fenix 5x that does get 12 of the "first beat" metrics that seem to be accurate enough so far...

https://firstbeat.com/en/consumer-product/fenix-5/

I try to do a mixture of road/trail/intervals/bike/etc...

And power walking (used to be my workouts) for recovery.