How do you motivate yourself once you are in a healthy range? Need help

Options
Hi MFP community!!
I have been kind of in a slump as of late. My main motivation for loosing what I have lost so far has been reaching a healthy range on the BMI chart, and I have just barely reached it, but since then my weight has not shifted a pound for over four months now. I still hold a lot of fat around my stomach, and I still feel heavy and not that healthy. I realize I need to switch up my diet and workouts, since I haven't been loosing anything, but I'm finding it hard to find motivation, since I have reached the main goal I was working towards.
I am technically in a healthy range(at the very top), but I know I need to lose more and gain more muscle.
Please share your experience and what motivates you!!

Replies

• DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    You already know the answer: add different goals. I also had the goal of reaching a normal BMI, and finally did so. However, it was obvious I needed to go further. Reset your weight loss goal to losing a half pound or one pound a week and log your food. Aim for losing another 10 pounds. Or going down a pant size. Or increasing the time you spend in the gym. Or joining a fitness class you'll commit to twice or three times a week. Or start the Couch to 5K running program, and sign up for a 5K race set for two months from now. I realized that my goal weight did not get me to where I needed to be, so I reset that goal and aimed to accomplish all those other goals I just listed for you. There's always another improvement in your future, just identify what it is you want to achieve.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,482 Member
    Options
    Right. There's the work of the law of diminishing returns in weight loss. Lots of us have more than 1 issue to start. But my knees quit hurting and I still had 20 lbs to go.

Agree, you do have the answer, set some more goals. If you aren't losing, you aren't eating at a deficit. Make a new goal, redo all of the numbers like its day #1.

Beware. You're finding out that the nature of the universe did not change because you made goal. Regaining is a serious threat. Maintenance takes significant adjusting. Try to keep an attitude of experimentation.

Reading your post, you might be happier changing your exercise routines. If you get results following a certain strategy, there's a tendency to keep doing more of the same no matter what. Make a plan and stick with it long enough to give it a good test. Never stop adjusting. These's no finish line.