Counting macros?

Options
Hello I'm new to the community and I just started a new fitness and lifestyle plan that includes counting macros over tracking just calories. According to what I've researched in regards to my body type, I'm starting at 40% carbs, 30% fat and 30% protein. My goal is to lose about 10lbs of fat and build muscle. Does this seem like a reasonable ratio for macros?

I'm pretty active and work out in some form every day. I usually hit the gym at work for about 40 min Mon-Thur, where I do weights and treadmill (I'm planning to change this up and going to start focusing on HIIT workouts) and then Fri and Sat I do spin classes, 45 min and Sunday's I take my dog for a run (3-4 miles). My job is very sedentary and I'm over 50 so daily workouts are a must for me.

Anyway, would love any tips or input. I'm getting married next fall and my goal is to be in the best ever shape of my life for it!!!

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Beyond getting enough protein, macros are largely personal preference/what you feel best on after trial and error, but I think 40-30-30 tends to be a sustainable and successful ratio for many (I did it for a while and really liked it, although I've been experimenting with other things just to keep myself interested). If you are trying to lose a little weight and build muscle, one important thing would be not being too aggressive with the deficit and including some form of progressive strength training. That's the one thing I'd add if I'm reading you right and the M-Thurs would be HIIT only. Otherwise, sounds great!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,930 Member
    Options
    Your macro ratios sound reasonable. If you're new to macro tracking, and don't have special medical/dietary constraints, I'd advocate thinking of fats and protein as minimums most days, and letting the carbs just fall where they may to balance out calories. You're probably already attuned to this, but I've seen so many people here think they should try to hit all of the macros near-exactly every day . . . that's unnecessarily stress-y. :)

Have you been doing workouts every day (7 days a week) for quite a long time? If not, I'd encourage still taking one "active rest" day a week - y'know, maybe mild stretching/yoga, a walk, easy bike ride, or just do routine daily stuff. Recovery is an important part of the process - gotta pull back the bowstring to shoot the arrow, and all that.

I've been quite active for around 15 years. As the years go by (I'm 61), I find I make better progress and better avoid strains/injury if I avoid doing the same things many days in a row. I'm an avid rower, would love to row every day in season, but I've learned I do better with M-W-F-Sa row, Tu-Th spin, Su active rest (usually ;) ).

Perhaps your planned HIIT activity has enough movement variety that this won't be an issue for you, I don't know. Also, if you're continuing weight work 4 days in a row, I assume your plan already has some kind of a split, rather than hitting the same body parts/muscles every day.

And you know your own body best: These are just my thoughts from my experience.
  • Jody_ak
    Jody_ak Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Yes I've been working out daily for a couple years now. I've always been active but it seems as I've gotten older (and took a job that keeps me at a desk all day) I've found I really need some kind of daily movement to keep me on track. So far my workouts at the gym have been pretty moderate, if I find myself hurting or too fatigued with changing it up to HIIT workouts, I may start taking more than the occasional rest day.