Will a week or two eating loads of buttery, cheesy products affect my cholesterol?

Options
Off to France at Christmas and want to indulge in lots of typical french foods such as croissants, cheese, chocolate for a couple of weeks.

I know a typical croissant has around 10 grams of saturated fat. And with all the other foods and cheese etc... the intake will be very high.

The ' french paradox ' keeps coming to my mind.

I know there is confusion over saturated fats still.

My diet is on the low side of saturated fat intake - probably 5 grams a day on average and generally made up from healthy oils, omega 3, nuts etc... very little dairy and only lean red meat.

Would an average healthy persons (like me I hope...) cholesterol rise too high after the two weeks or is it more so a diet over a very long period where it starts to become a problem?

Replies

• PhilP0wer
    PhilP0wer Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    It'd be measurable, but trivial and temporary (like just a couple of days). Stay away from trans fats and you'll be fine :) If you are really concerned about keeping low cholesterol levels keep your long term sugar intake low. That's a bigger culprit for high cholesterol but for whatever reason people don't talk about it much.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    dlp97dlp wrote: »
    Off to France at Christmas and want to indulge in lots of typical french foods such as croissants, cheese, chocolate for a couple of weeks.

I know a typical croissant has around 10 grams of saturated fat. And with all the other foods and cheese etc... the intake will be very high.

The ' french paradox ' keeps coming to my mind.

I know there is confusion over saturated fats still.

My diet is on the low side of saturated fat intake - probably 5 grams a day on average and generally made up from healthy oils, omega 3, nuts etc... very little dairy and only lean red meat.

Would an average healthy persons (like me I hope...) cholesterol rise too high after the two weeks or is it more so a diet over a very long period where it starts to become a problem?

it may rise some, but if you dont have any issues like familial hypercholesterolemia then I wouldnt worry too much about it. it may not cause any issues and in that short time I dont think it will do much health wise either(you may end up with diarrhea or something if you are not used to eating a lot of fats). but I wouldnt worry unless you have an abnormal cholesterol issue.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    PhilP0wer wrote: »
    It'd be measurable, but trivial and temporary (like just a couple of days). Stay away from trans fats and you'll be fine :) If you are really concerned about keeping low cholesterol levels keep your long term sugar intake low. That's a bigger culprit for high cholesterol but for whatever reason people don't talk about it much.

depends on the person. I have familial hypercholesterolemia and I have to watch my fat and cholesterol intake. I eat low fat/cholesterol and a good bit of carbs and my cholesterol is now in normal ranges for the first time in over 15 years.I eat what I want in moderation and I do have to take meds but even before when I was taking meds it never went down much.even the "healthier" fats in excess make mine rise but thats because my body cant process it like it should.I take in a lot of sugar(carbs) most days and dont have an issue there.

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    short term, yes. long term, no - not if you resumed eating 'normally'.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You will be fine. Enjoy your trip.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    You're going to France! Live your best life!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    The French paradox isn't a paradox, the French enjoy their food but they don't overindulge, they eat only at meal times, and they walk and bike everywhere.

Obsessing over nutrients is "nutritionism", not healthy eating. Chronic anxiety takes more lives than cholesterol.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    The French paradox isn't a paradox, the French enjoy their food but they don't overindulge, they eat only at meal times, and they walk and bike everywhere.

Obsessing over nutrients is "nutritionism", not healthy eating. Chronic anxiety takes more lives than cholesterol.

Ditto...Ditto and Amen!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

And there is plenty more to French food than butter, cheese and cream! We had some delicious meals there, many not ridiculously calorific
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Low levels of blood cholesterol is dangerous, but this doesn't mean most people need dietary cholesterol (your body can generally produce the cholesterol it needs).
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    thecharon wrote: »
    Cholesterol that is too low can also be dangerous. https://www.healthline.com/health/cholesterol-can-it-be-too-low#low-cholesterol3 Researchers suggest that because cholesterol is involved in making hormones and vitamin D, low levels may affect the health of your brain. Vitamin D is important for cell growth. If brain cells aren’t healthy, you may experience anxiety or depression
    Other sites: https://www.verywell.com/can-total-cholesterol-levels-be-too-low-697599
    https://www.drweil.com/health-wellness/body-mind-spirit/heart/cholesterol-can-it-go-too-low/

and low cholesterol levels that are too low also is usually caused by a genetic defect.where the persons body cant make enough cholesterol. where people that have what I have make too much