Help gaining weight

Options
So I need some helpful advice or maybe an answer. I’m a sedentary stay at home mom. My calorie budget is 1,200. My goal weight is 120 and my current weight is about 130 give or take. I started off at 158. So I weigh my food and very accurate about logging. I just started exercises because my weight has been slowly creeping up. I never go over my calorie budget. I’ve been at this weight loss journey for going on 5 months. The lowest I weighed was about 126-127 and about 2 weeks ago my weight just started creeping up a couple ounces at a time. I don’t think it’s water retention because I haven’t been working out and it’s not my time of the month so I don’t know why my body would try to retain water. The only thing that has changed it I went from straight water to introducing some diet soda in my diet (which it’s not suppose to make you gain weight since it’s 0 calories) but I’m honestly at a loss here. Oh and I stopped losing weight about 4/5 weeks ago and about 2 weeks ago my weight has starting going up.

Replies

• rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    so it total youve gained how much?

About 2-3 pounds over a two and a half week span
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Pregnant? Stress? (cortisol is a factor in water retention)
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    The lighter you get the less food you need as your BMR drops. Not only that but the closer to goal you become, the more noticable inaccuracies in your logging become. It is good to reset your goals to take into account your lower weight.

Some tips on accuracy
    1. Weigh all solids with electric digital scales, including those that are prepackaged as these often weigh more than indicated on the wrapper.
    2. Use measuring cups and spoons for all liquids.
    3. Check all data entries against the nutritional label on the packaging or somewhere like the USDA database. Many entries here are very inaccurate.
    4. Fitness machines and watches etc often over estimate calorie burn. If you are logging accurately and not seeing weight loss it could mean that these calories are over etimated and you may need to cut back on the amount of exercise calories you are eating back.
    5. The calculator used to work out yor BMR is based on averages. Yours could be higher or lower than what is given. This will be more noticable the closer to goal you become.
    6. Some people have great success from having a diet break and eating at maintenance for a few weeks before hitting a deficit again.
    7. If you havebtried all this and still gaining make an appointment with your doctor to see if there is any underlying condition.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    Hmm.. I wonder if its possible that maybe you were slightly dehydrated? I know you say you were drinking water.. but are you drinking more pop then you were water?
    No I’m drinking more water. I only drink one or two cans at the most a day.
    Not pregnant, on birth control and very safe. And I’m not stressed.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    The lighter you get the less food you need as your BMR drops. Not only that but the closer to goal you become, the more noticable inaccuracies in your logging become. It is good to reset your goals to take into account your lower weight.

Some tips on accuracy
    1. Weigh all solids with electric digital scales, including those that are prepackaged as these often weigh more than indicated on the wrapper.
    2. Use measuring cups and spoons for all liquids.
    3. Check all data entries against the nutritional label on the packaging or somewhere like the USDA database. Many entries here are very inaccurate.
    4. Fitness machines and watches etc often over estimate calorie burn. If you are logging accurately and not seeing weight loss it could mean that these calories are over etimated and you may need to cut back on the amount of exercise calories you are eating back.
    5. The calculator used to work out yor BMR is based on averages. Yours could be higher or lower than what is given. This will be more noticable the closer to goal you become.
    6. Some people have great success from having a diet break and eating at maintenance for a few weeks before hitting a deficit again.
    7. If you havebtried all this and still gaining make an appointment with your doctor to see if there is any underlying condition.

I just started working out about two days ago but I don’t eat back the calories just because I didn’t think i burned what they said I did. I weigh everything on the scale and I measure all liquids. I’m very accurate with that stuff so I’m not eating more than I think. My maintenance is 1,500 which MFP had all messed up for a little bit it said I needed 1,500 to lose weight, but it changed back now to 1,200. Also 1,200 in the lowest I can go to stay within the safe standards with weight loss. So I can’t drop my calorie intake with my weight.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Hmm.. I wonder if its possible that maybe you were slightly dehydrated? I know you say you were drinking water.. but are you drinking more pop then you were water?
    No I’m drinking more water. I only drink one or two cans at the most a day.
    Not pregnant, on birth control and very safe. And I’m not stressed.

I'd say you are stressed - you've posted quite a few times about your weight not doing what you expect it to. Plus, exercise stress, and low calories adds stress to your body
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    Well other then a medical condition thats all my suggestions.

Thank you for your suggestions I’ll get checked out!