Hemp protein!

Options
Heyyy....i started to use protein supplements in my diet,and honestly i prefer to make a smoothie and add hemp protein rather than whey protein with milk/water.
So the question is, have you tried hemp protein, what are the pros and cons?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Cons... It tastes like dirt. It has the texture of dirt. If I remember correctly it was more expensive than whey, with lower protein, and I'd choose whey over plant based protein powder any day.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Pro: It is a complete source of vegan protein. It's a good option for a vegan who is allergic to soy.
    Con: It will make you fail a drug test. I'm subject to random drug tests at my job so I avoid it.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    It's the most disgusting thing I've ever tasted, and I've eaten some WEIRD things in Asia....

Hemp protein taste like fresh-cut-grass flavored soggy cardboard.

But YMMV.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I can't use hemp protein, it's too gross. I'll usually use pea protein instead. However, if you like it, I don't see the harm. I don't think the protein quality is quite as good as whey, but other than that quibble, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it (that's true of pea protein as well).
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I use the product ... It's definitely a get-used-to or mask-it taste cause on it's own it's very grassy tasting. However, added to a smoothie with some other flavors and it becomes quite nice.
    Some reading on it below ...

https://www.livestrong.com/article/464473-side-effects-of-hemp-protein/

https://nutiva.com/company/faq/hemp-faq/

http://store.nutiva.com/hemp-protein

1peprrzbynwk.jpg

• Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I find it doesn’t irritate my digestion the way whey protein does. I’m becoming increasingly lactose-intolerant.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Not a good source of protien due to relatively low leucine level. You would have to consume much more than a good whey isolate to benefit from it as far as protien sources for muscle synthesis is concerned.
  • Rhumax67
    Rhumax67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I've been using Manitoba Harvest Hemp Pro 70. They claim it's a complete protein. 20 grams per serving. I use it in a smoothie with a tbl of cocoa, a banana & almond milk--can't even taste it & it mixes well. Vegan, which is important to me. The downside is the price & it's only available in an expensive health food store near me.
  • KarblessKreature
    KarblessKreature Posts: 52 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Pro: It is a complete source of vegan protein. It's a good option for a vegan who is allergic to soy.
    Con: It will make you fail a drug test. I'm subject to random drug tests at my job so I avoid it.

Fail a drug test? It’s not made of marijuana but hemp so no you will no fail a drug test. I use to take it daily for ~8 months and never failed a random. I also eat at least 30g of hemp seeds and a 1 tbsp of hemp oil a day and just had a random 3 weeks ago and passed.
    As for the taste I would say an acquired taste by itself. I use to mix mine with OJ, Greek yogurt and amazing greens. One great shake.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options

Fail a drug test? It’s not made of marijuana but hemp so no you will no fail a drug test. I use to take it daily for ~8 months and never failed a random. I also eat at least 30g of hemp seeds and a 1 tbsp of hemp oil a day and just had a random 3 weeks ago and passed.
    As for the taste I would say an acquired taste by itself. I use to mix mine with OJ, Greek yogurt and amazing greens. One great shake.

We were warned about hemp consumption causing you to fail a drug test. Maybe the screen they use on you is different?