Pickling blog post

Options
On the MFP blog today, there’s an article about pickling fruits and veggies with a few examples of what to mix together for new ideas. But, unless I missed it, the article does not mention how long to combine for before taste testing. Anyone have insight to share about pickling? Do different fruits or veggies require different time lengths to optimize the pickling process? TIA for feedback.

Link to article: http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/quick-pickling-a-simple-formula/

Replies

• beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    I would start with 24 hours, unless the vegetable is thinly sliced. A few hours would be long enough for something like sliced radishes.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    It really depends. For sealed/canned pickles I'd wait several days before breaking the seal and tasting. The longer the better really (within reason, of course). Refrigerator pickles, a minimum of 24 hours. But you can pickle things like onion to serve with a meal as you prepare the meal itself.
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for the feedback! Much appreciated... mmmm, pickled radishes and onions. Going to test it out this coming weekend.
  • Gemini61454
    Gemini61454 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    At least a week, two is better. We did carrots with onion and jalapeno slices, in a water/vinegar/t salt brine. Yummy
  • maryannprt
    maryannprt Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    When I quick pickle red onions we eat them as soon as the brine cools. They improve from there. Pickled blueberries need at least 3 or 4 days. Those are my 2 favorite quick pickles.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    maryannprt wrote: »
    When I quick pickle red onions we eat them as soon as the brine cools. They improve from there. Pickled blueberries need at least 3 or 4 days. Those are my 2 favorite quick pickles.

Pickled blueberries? How did I not know about this?

I know what I'll be trying next year. Would raspberries also work? My bushes always go haywire and I end up not knowing what to do with 2lbs of raspberries per day...
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I pickle eggs in soy sauce honey and rice vinegar + water for about 2-3 hours and it's good, leaving it in longer works well too. I haven't quick-pickled veggies but the tips in that blog post look pretty awesome as a starting point.
  • wefts
    wefts Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I made lime pickles this summer like super crunchy bread and butter pickles and dill spears , as we had an over load of pickling cucumbers they are great . and not too high cal when you just need a bit of crunch , husband goes for the sweet ones while I covet the garlic dills . they taste best after a few days sitting
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    Recently pickled some habaneros, jalapenos, okra and bell peppers recently. They all taste better after a week or so.
  • maryannprt
    maryannprt Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    maryannprt wrote: »

Pickled blueberries? How did I not know about this?

I know what I'll be trying next year. Would raspberries also work? My bushes always go haywire and I end up not knowing what to do with 2lbs of raspberries per day...

I think pickled raspberries would taste good. They're so delicate... Would they fall apart? Even if they did, you could use the vinegar for all sorts of things. I use the blueberry vinegar on greens, both cooked and as a salad.