Home Exercise On a Budget: What Do You Recommend?

Options
FatOldBat
FatOldBat Posts: 3,307 Member
Is there a decent treadmill, for instance, that won't break the bank?

Replies

• crazorbaq
    crazorbaq Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If you are set on a treadmill, try 2nd hand shops. We have one from here called Play it AGain sports, 2nd hand used sports/exercise equipment. I have bought a couple of treadmills from Walmart and they are good for the price. However, you just CANNOT beat going outside to walk/run, whatever. Right now i am walking outside with ankle weights/wrist weights and get in a really good workout. :)
  • choijanro
    choijanro Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    you can also do some bodyweight exercise & watching zumba :)
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Jump rope is GREAT. And they're cheap. You can find programs online that incorporate body weight, dumb bells and jump rope.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    There's lots of ideas on Pinterest too, the health and fitness section has printable plans of action :) good luck!
  • cheeky0122
    cheeky0122 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    There's also TONS of websites and videos that go over body weight exercises, or circuits. Even if you don't have weights around the house, grab a bag and fill it with soup cans or a jug filled with water. If you're on a budget and want to work out at home, google is your best friend (:
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Good treadmills are expensive, and bad ones are bad. :(

I recommend bodyweight exercise, because it's as close to free as you can get. They do tend to get you with the "stuff you have around the house" that actually requires trips to two hardware stores and a Sports Authority to actually acquire, but most of the time you can work around that. I think I've paid about $100 for all my stuff, because I got it over time watching for good deals. (Exercise bands, chinup bar, adjustable dumbbells, an HRM and a couple of books, nothing major.)

PLUS you can pack it all away in a box or a closet or something, unlike a treadmill which tends to turn into a clothes hanger in short order.

I've used and like Never Gymless and You Are Your Own Gym, which also has an app. There's also Body By You by the YAYOG guy, which I haven't used, but is supposed to be tailored more for women.
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Walk or run outside; it's free. For exercising in the home, there are a lot of great free workout videos on YouTube, and many use no or minimal equipment. I like Fitness Blender.
  • FatOldBat
    FatOldBat Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Thanks, and you're right about walking/running outdoors. I'm thinking ahead to the next NJ winter when sidewalks and trails vanish.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Thanks, and you're right about walking/running outdoors. I'm thinking ahead to the next NJ winter when sidewalks and trails vanish.

This is a great way to "walk" indoors: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rnB9rDRrCM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjduJjO1pLg&feature=related

These DVDs sell for around &10 at Target, Wal-Mart. Your local library should have a bunch. If you want to run (indoors) look for a mini-trampoline.
  • JulieAnn72
    JulieAnn72 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I honestly wouldn't bother with the treadmill unless you're really looking to get into running and want to be able to train in the winter.

I recommend just using things like fitnessblender.com, YouTube videos and the Skimble Workout Trainer app. You can get a variety of cardio and strength exercises from those things, and you really don't need any equipment except maybe a mat, some dumbbells (if you want) and maybe an exercise ball or other little equipment as you move along and see what sorts of exercises you like.
  • sarah2002
    sarah2002 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Check out your local library for exercise DVDs. I use those a lot in the winter when it is too cold and dark to run outside. Also, if you have cable, sometimes it will have a fitness section with free workouts.
  • itsscottwilder
    Options
    Is there a Play it again sports in your area?

Rowing machine is my favorite.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    There is a group on here that adds daily routines to do. Also, there is a channel on youtube that posts weekly videos! They even have a lot of the Jillian Michaels routines! Most you may need to "invest" in would be some 2-5lb hand weights, depending on your strength. But if you had to really be on a budget, I've used stuff like bottles filled with rocks or cans of soup! :)

http://www.youtube.com/user/BeFit
  • brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    How about FREE??? The library loans exercise videos. You can also challenge yourself to scour your local thrift shops for tapes and equipment too. I scored two DVDs for a quarter each and a brand-new 3 pack Leslie Sansone Walking Program DVD set for $2 (no treadmill required!) Hope this helps. :smile:
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    You should search for exercise videos on youtube. Fr-fr-fr-freeeee! :)
  • toothpastechica
    toothpastechica Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for budget skip the treadmill and run outside! I also do squats, push ups (sometimes), sit ups, planks etc...all free, and I use free apps to motivate/challenge me. I also have pilates videos that I picked up at the second had store for a dollar each and use zumba for the xbox Kinect (since my hubby has one I might as well use it!)
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Craigslist. It's my go-to place for most big ticket items.
  • Beautifullymadetoday
    Beautifullymadetoday Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    try dancing its free and you will have a blast just remember to smile, it makes it all the more fun
  • Doskymom
    Doskymom Posts: 6
    Options
    Are you interested in workout DVDs at all? I would go to www.collagevideo.com and look at the clips of the workouts and see which ones might interest you. There are lots of places that sell DVDs for less than $10.00. E-bay and Amazon are two that have good prices.
  • Beautifullymadetoday
    Beautifullymadetoday Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    :tongue: oh my goodness i love your pic that dogs the cuttest thing i eva seen lol
    :laugh: