Hello and a confession

Options
Oh boy, last time I was on this site was in 2012. I was 210 lbs. It's five years later and the good news is I am 193 lbs. The bad news I have diabetes 2, my sugars are out of control and most of the medicines don't work or make me sick. A couple of months ago, I ate really great for a while, basically just clean eating (as little packaged as I could). The numbers from my blood tests were great but the meds made me sick, so I had the doc take me off the meds that made me sick. In the meantime, I decided to try a high protein diet, which was a disaster as far as my blood tests went (higher everything). To boot, I didn't loose any weight eating either way. So now I am trying to get back on track. Working with my Dr. to get a medication regimen that works and going back to eating whole foods, with one change, going to start counting calories, which is what brought me back here. So this is my confession and hopefully the beginning of a lasting change. Just entered the recipe for my morning Kale and flax shake and my first snack today. Hopefully I am on the right track, whole foods for the blood work numbers combined with counting calories to get the weight off and increased exercise. I need to get healthier, add some exercise (my sister has had luck with PiYo and I can walk more at work, etc.), and quit smoking. So no more excuses, no more gimmicks, no more convincing myself it's harder than it is, just plain healthy eating, watching my calories, increasing my exercise, getting off the cigarettes and general being good to myself and not beating myself up for every little mistake. I can't change what I don't acknowledge. I know what to do, just have to make the time and take on the responsibility for myself. No one can do this but me :)

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,181 Member
    Options
    It appears that you are doing it sensibly.
  • Galaraga6037
    Galaraga6037 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Great start! You can do it! I started at approx 213 lbs in July and just hit 174 lbs. I also have type 2 Diabetes. It was hard at first to adjust my eating habits and portion control. It does get easier once you find a good balance of foods. I try to hit my protein and fiber targets each day. Not always successful with the sugars and carbs but within range I guess. For exercise I just walk with my ipod for company and lift some free weights at home.
    Good luck on your journey!
  • thunderztormdk
    thunderztormdk Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    smarie1111 wrote: »
    Update week one, tracked all week. What I learned? With a few small tweaks (Parmesan cheese instead of cheddar, etc.) was able to significantly lower the calories and fat in some of my "go to" meals. Hardly even noticed the changes. Even with a treat or two, was easily able to stay within my calories for every day but one. When I had to eat on the go, was also easily able to stay on track for the day just by looking for the "best option" wherever I was. Got on the scale today and lost 1.5 lbs. Week one was a success, really not that hard and I was pretty much able to eat the things I like with some small tweaks or being mindful of spreading them out throughout the week. Really hoping week two goes as well.

That is exactly the way that worked for me as well. Replace "bad" ingredients with smarter, healthier choices without losing the good taste of the meal I love.
  • CourtneyUT
    CourtneyUT Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Keep going, you're doing great! Diabetes 2 runs in my family. My parents both have it, and now my brother was just diagnosed. I was on a path to getting it too, and turning 40 next year made me realize that it will probably happen sooner, not later. Each day that I watch my calories is a day that I am doing something to avoid diabetes. That keeps me going. I also read the book "Diabesity" by Francine Kaufmann, and that scared the bejeebies out of me! Don't give up! You can do this!
  • smarie1111
    smarie1111 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks all,your comments really help. Determined to get off some of my diabetes meds and to do that I have to get the weight down. Doing well this week also but finding it a little harder. Working on increasing my exercise (just walking for now). Loving this site though, the tracker is really helping me learn to balance the fat, sugar, and calories. Like that it makes me think about what swaps I can make and actually live with on a long term/forever basis. Oh, and BTW, I mindless snack too much :) Amazing how fast snacking adds up when you actually pay attention. LOL :)
  • embtreas
    embtreas Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Wow, you're post inspires me. I'm a repeat offender with high sugar foods and am in my first week of my new regime. Thanks for posting and keep up your determination - when you make change, you inspire others - like me!