Going back to or starting slimming world after successful loss with MFP

skeleton666
skeleton666 Posts: 10 Member
edited November 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi all!

Just wanted to ask if those who have got to their target weights with MFP, ever gone back to or started Slimming world to maintain weight and managed to stay on target?

I do find MFP more restrictive so want the ease of SW, in other words to have my cake and eat it!

Replies

• skeleton666
    skeleton666 Posts: 10 Member
    Maybe it's because I'm only have 1200 a day to lose the weight but my weekends I do tend to go over.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Maybe it's because I'm only have 1200 a day to lose the weight but my weekends I do tend to go over.

if you lost weight on 1200 cals, then you don't maintain on the same number of calories?
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    As you lose weight with myfitnesspal, you're supposed to switch to a smaller and smaller deficit to transition to maintenance. So...
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

So let's say you have 45 lbs to lose, it might give you 1400 calories/day to lose 1.5 lbs per week. This will work for a while, you drop down, and you're 38 lbs from your goal weight. You switch to losing 1lb/week. MFP will bump UP your calories since your goal is less aggressive. Maybe you get 1600 cals /day. This continues until the very end. When you're set to lose that last 10-15 lbs, you'll be at only .5 lbs/week loss, which is nearly maintenance which, for a woman, will tend to be 1,800-2,200 on average, depending on goal weight and a few other factors.

tl;dr: With MFP, as you transition to maintenance, you will get more calories per day.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,731 Member
    Plus, if you exercise, you get even more calories each day.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,383 Member
    My Fitness Pal is simply a tool, not a weight-loss program.

You can set your own goals - calories, macros, etc. It's fully customizable.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    it literally doesnt get any less restrictive thn MFP... You can literally eat whatever you want at your maintenance calories. LITERALLY anything you want. How is that more restrictive thn slimming world...?
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    thecharon wrote: »
    I'm not sure, but I think this program premium allows you to set your calories different on days. It almost sounds like you want a bit of freedom on weekends. The premium could be cheaper than slimming world. Note, you could also just mentally add 200 calories a day on weekends. (what you want is a bit confusing).

or track your weekly calorie goal instead of daily.
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    Does slimming world have some 'free' foods that don't count?

• ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member

If you're at your target weight, go into your profile and change your goal from lose to maintain. Your daily calories will increase accordingly.

As @VintageFeline pointed out, CICO is what will control your weight regardless of the plan you use.