Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Surely I can't be the only one who...

constantly compares themselves to other people. Never feeling like where you are at is good enough. I feel like this probably happens more-so with women than men... but regardless, it happens. I've lost just over 50lbs since February 18th of this year, and I'm proud of that. I still have another 50 to go though. As weird as it might sound, I can SEE the difference in my body, but I can't accept it. My mind still sees myself as a blob of disgusting fat.

179428ea-25b4-459b-acd1-5472b9b55ae6_zpsb2497a44.jpg

I can't honestly can not remember a time in my life that I actually LIKED my body. Even when I was at my smallest in high school (150-160lbs while being extremely active & involved in sports) I felt like a beached whale.

Now that I'm an adult, I'm taking control. I realized that I can change my appearance. I have no reason to hate my body now that every day I am a little closer to where I want to be.

But where do I want to be? That's really the question.. When will I be happy with myself? How can I love my body after the complete disregard I had for it and let myself get so disgusting? I dread the thought that my prolonged negative mindset about myself has ruined any chance that I will ever actually be comfortable in my own skin. My constant lack of self esteem and self confidence irritates the hell out of me. I've done a lot of research on how to love my body...but none of it gets through to me.

What I want to know is, for those of you who have the same....body hatred, I guess... how did you change that? I'm open to all suggestions.

Replies

• keyboardwench
    keyboardwench Posts: 121 Member
    Well done on all the hard work so far, you look amazing! Keep up the great work, you've definitely got what it takes in you to get where you want.

As for working on that body hatred, try to turn it to the opposite as best you can - self love. I was once unhappy with my body too but have since changed to the opposite.

Realize that your body is not just your appearance. Remember all those grueling work outs you did to lose those 50lbs? Your body is capable of that, it is strong, resilient, and you are an admirable person, a fighter, and no one (especially yourself) can take that pride away from you. We can't see your head in your pictures but I'm sure you've got a gorgeous smile, beautiful eyes, and most importantly an intelligent brain under there. Don't let anyone take that from you either, don't undermine your successes by saying negative things about yourself - do the opposite, even if it feels foolish.

What really helped moved things along for me was daily affirmations. Sounded so dumb to me at the time and felt like a right idiot the first couple times I did it. But it worked. Just smile, look in the mirror, and say a couple good things about yourself. Saying it out loud works best but if people are around occassionally just say it in your head. "I have beautiful eyes, legs that can carry me for miles, and endless potential." For example. I found it easier to start with things I believed in more so, but eventually throw in the other stuff and you will believe in that too. Say it with conviction and a smile on your face. "I'm beautiful, drop dead gorgeous, I'm a woman to be desired and I am happy with myself." Do it a few times a day, easiest is every time you go to the bathroom so it builds a habit contingent on something you eventually always have to do (go to the bathroom). Soon enough hopefully you'll be smiling more and happier with yourself.

Don't ever forget to smile! Even if you're not feeling happy try to force one out - it'll make you feel better by triggering some happy neurons in your brain which are used to being paired with the smiling muscles. A smile is the most beautiful thing on your face.

Realize you're eating better and exercising more because you love yourself - you're doing it because you think you deserve a better life, a longer one, and a healthier life. You sure as hell do deserve that! Every piece of food you put in your mouth is fuel for your life.

... Honestly I've rambled a lot. Hope something here helps you. If not, Google more about self-love and if you think your thoughts are very serious, consider booking an appointment with a qualified professional. Here's a good link of a place to start for self-love by the way! http://galadarling.com/static/getting-started-with-radical-self-love