Vegetarian

Options
I'm vegetarian. Most recipes I see are all high in carbs. Help, anybody? Bueller? :)

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Vegetables are mostly carbs, what do you need help with?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Why are you concerned with carb intake?
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    There's eco-atkins, as an example of a low carb vegan diet. https://www.webmd.com/diet/features/the-eco-atkins-diet

I don't personally think low carb is a particularly useful characteristic, though.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,022 Member
    Options
    Depending on how you define "low" carb (below 150, below 100, below 50, below 20 ??) and whether you eat eggs and dairy, combining vegetarian and low-carb can be challenging. Other than including more eggs and dairy in your diet, you can look at including avocados, plant oils, nuts and nut butters, and lots of non-starchy vegetables. In general, there's a pretty strong correlation between whole plant foods and carbs. You could look for low-carb versions of plant-based protein powders (or whey, if you do dairy).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Understanding what your goals are would be helpful. Do you have particular macros (protein, carbs, fat) you want to hit? A calorie goal? It's possible to be a vegetarian and not especially high carb (even moderate carb). I think really low carb would be challenging and not worth it, but some do that too. Focusing on your sources of protein and fat and of course fibrous low cal vegetables is one approach.
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Carb intake is not the key to weight loss. Eating fewer calories than you burn is the key to weight loss. I eat carbs at every meal, I always go over my macros for carbs and I've lost 37 pounds. Try to hit your protein goals for each day by eating tofu, beans, peanut butter, dairy products (if you are not vegan), wheat germ, soy proteins (think veggie burgers), etc., steer clear of too many starchy vegetables and stay under your calorie limit and you should be fine.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for 43 years. As long as I get enough protein, fat, and veggie/fruit servings (for micros/fiber), I don't think about carbs at all. Lost 50+ pounds anyway, and have maintained a healthy weight for the nearly 2 years since.

What are your goals, and why are carbs a problem? Knowing those things would help us help you.