Hungry even though I eat healthy?

2»

Replies

• squatsnotsquat
    squatsnotsquat Posts: 29 Member
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Eating healthy is eating foods that provide you with a reasonable macro split balanced between carbs, protein and fat while getting adequate nutrition. Eating healthy is not eating only meat and salad and ignoring it when your body is screaming at you.

As I mentioned before, I am not eating low carb. I'm eating upwards of 100 g/day generally, which for a girl who does not work out, is more of a moderate range. However, reducing my carbs from basically anything to that level helped me greatly four years ago-- I was having the same issue, and it at least let me go more than 1 hour without getting hungry again.
  • squatsnotsquat
    edited November 2017
    thank you everyone for the suggestions!! To clear up about the meat: I am talking about 1-2 pounds uncooked. 1 pound of uncooked hamburger is only four patties I think-- not that hard to eat. I generally eat about 4-5 large chicken tenderloins or fish fillets (unbreaded) and 1-2 hamburger patties. It's entirely possible that I'm calculating wrong, given that I don't have a food scale. I would also like to edit the 3 pounds-- I accidentally recorded my usual dinner for that day rather than the lower amount I ate, with about 1 pound at breakfast, so that would come out to around 1 lb (uncooked) chicken breast at breakfast and two chicken tenderloins plus one hamburger patty at dinner. I'm very sorry for any confusion that caused-- it was confusing me as well.

However, that does not mean my eating habits are "normal." People definitely notice I eat a lot of food. I eat most of my day's food in one sitting-- it's not like I'm doing IF, but it's just what I prefer.

Also, I aim for about 100g carbs or less per day. However, I usually end up in the 130-160 range. While this may be at the lower end for a serious bodybuilder or the average American, for an inactive girl this more like moderate carb. I have a pretty even macro split. I do include plenty of fat-- about 40ish% of my calories are from fat.
  • squatsnotsquat
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Maybe playing around with meal timing can help.

Or.. why not incorporate some junk food into your day if it helps. For me, I get mental satisfaction from fitting treats into my day.

How long have you been lifting? Intense sessions can really get hunger going.

When I eat carbs, they are usually junk food-- which I think could be my problem. I've been lifting for about six years. I generally do 3 sets of bench and chest flies to failure on each set, but the main drain is holding a glute bridge for 3 minutes with 130 pounds. I generally can't think straight after my workout, even though it's so short. Do you think that would be enough to work up an appetite?
  • squatsnotsquat
    I'm not sure you should be drinking 4 gallons of water...if you are legit that thirsty, you need to see a dr.

2500 calories isn't a huge amount for an active person your size...but 3lbs of meat in 1 sitting seems high (and unlikely). Are you accurately weighing your food on a scale?

thanks for your response! I'm not weighing food as I eat in a cafeteria, which could certainly be part of the issue, but I have been tracking calories for about a decade and have a good feel for what 2500 calories "looks" like. I estimate a chicken tenderloin at 1.5 oz. I'm supposed to be eating 1700 calories to maintain according to TDEE calculators, which to me is crazy. I'm not active, I sit most of the day and only work out maybe 40 minutes/week including rest periods and stretching, and do not do cardio.

I have seen a doctor about my water drinking, which is how I know I drink 4-5 gallons. They don't know what's wrong, but apparently I've always needed a lot of water, even when I was little.
  • squatsnotsquat
    2500 really isn't a huge amount of calories for someone of your height, especially if you are young enough to still refer to yourself as a girl.

You might also be confusing hunger with not satisfied. I know I can eat until I'm stuffed and still not feel satisfied if I don't have enough fat in the meal. Fat satisfies me even though I find fiber and protein more filling. This would explain why you feel less hungry (more satisfied) when you eat junk food.

thanks for replying! I eat a pretty balanced macro split. I usually put cheese, guacamole, or sour cream on my meat, eat peanut butter and walnuts and am not too scared of dressing-- I usually have upwards of 80g fat per day. My meat isn't exactly lean either. I definitely agree with you that fat satisfies me more-- maybe starting my meal with something fatty instead of ending with it could help? Most calculators give me 1700 calories to maintain, not even to lose weight, so at least according to that 2500 is quite a bit.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    So you eat most of your food at one sitting because that is what works for you and you are eyeballing your portions. Through preference or experience you fill up with meat with a modest amount of carbs.

I think you are eating at maintenance.

If you don’t want to feel so hungry all the time you will have to change some habits until you figure out what works. I think splitting your food more evenly throughout the day and replacing some of that meat with starchy carbs is worth a try.
  • squatsnotsquat
    You don't mention fat. Fat is way more filling for me than protein. And yes, maybe you need the extra carbs. 50 of protein seems a little low, but maybe aim for 75 and get your carbs.

Also, 2500 calories isn't that much for a 140 lb girl. I am just a little heavier (160) and can maintain at that. Definitely not "astronomical".

I eat a pretty balanced macro split-- usually upwards of 80g fat per day. I'm definitely not scared of it, it's my favorite! Most calculators give me 1700 calories to maintain, not even to lose weight, so at least according to that 2500 is quite a bit... I might try eating more fat and carbs and less protein and see if that helps.
  • squatsnotsquat
    can you open your diary up? depending on the veggies you are eating - they are not necessarily calorie dense

I usually don't record veggies at all, so my macros and calories don't include those anyway. I record just the dressing. I eat lettuce, bell pepper, tomatoes, carrots, celery sometimes, so yeah, not too calorie dense.
  • squatsnotsquat
    Are you actually eating 2 pounds of meat per day? Have you had your Thyroid tested ?

Could be this. A friend of my son started eating like this and finally found out it was a hereditary thyroid misfunction. Can't hurt to look into it.

Aside from some weight gain, I don't have any of the symptoms of hypothyroidism. I feel and look pretty healthy, I'm just worried the weight is going to keep creeping on unless I do something. Are there other thyroid/hormonal conditions you might know of that it could be?
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Are you actually hungry or "craving" junk food on your healthy eating days?? You say that you are fine when you eat junk food. It sounds to me more like a craving for junk than being hungry. But that's just my unexpert opinion.
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    I'm sure that if you eat more fat you will feel more sated.

However if you have an over active Thyroid you need medical help.

Good luck to you. :)
  • squatsnotsquat
    This might help:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/topics/fullness-factor

Researching foods that have improved satiation values is probably what you want to do.

Thanks, I had totally forgotten about this, going to try it.
  • combsshan
    combsshan Posts: 47 Member
    edited November 2017
    I agree with many of the others that say "eat more healthy carbs" I can't live on just meat, fat, veg and fruit. If I don't have some grains or potatoes I feel hungry all the time. You may need more for than the 100g you speak of. For me the healthy carbs are as, if not more, important than the protein and fat. They are what make me feel satisfied. If I don't eat enough carbs I get cranky, headachy and HUNGRY. It also seems to me that you are at a healthy weight. The belly bulge could be bloating from all the veggies you're eating or if you are hitting close to the 40 mark, it just happens. I had a perfectly flat stomach, even after childbirth, till I hit my 40's.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited November 2017
    Eating healthy is eating foods that provide you with a reasonable macro split balanced between carbs, protein and fat while getting adequate nutrition. Eating healthy is not eating only meat and salad and ignoring it when your body is screaming at you.

As I mentioned before, I am not eating low carb. I'm eating upwards of 100 g/day generally, which for a girl who does not work out, is more of a moderate range. However, reducing my carbs from basically anything to that level helped me greatly four years ago-- I was having the same issue, and it at least let me go more than 1 hour without getting hungry again.

Okay you eat 2500 calories a day. You eat 100g of carbs a day. 100g of carbs is 400 calories. A typical macro split for most people has somewhere between 40%-60% of their calories coming from carbs. You have 400/2500 = 16% of your calories coming from carbs. That is not only a low carb diet that is an extremely low carb diet approaching ketotic.

http://macronutrientcalculator.com/

On top of that you notice that if you eat "junk" food you feel better, junk food typically being high in carbs.

I'm just saying you might want to bring that carb percentage up a bit, you can take it or leave it.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    thank you everyone for the suggestions!! To clear up about the meat: I am talking about 1-2 pounds uncooked. 1 pound of uncooked hamburger is only four patties I think-- not that hard to eat. I generally eat about 4-5 large chicken tenderloins or fish fillets (unbreaded) and 1-2 hamburger patties. It's entirely possible that I'm calculating wrong, given that I don't have a food scale. I would also like to edit the 3 pounds-- I accidentally recorded my usual dinner for that day rather than the lower amount I ate, with about 1 pound at breakfast, so that would come out to around 1 lb (uncooked) chicken breast at breakfast and two chicken tenderloins plus one hamburger patty at dinner. I'm very sorry for any confusion that caused-- it was confusing me as well.

However, that does not mean my eating habits are "normal." People definitely notice I eat a lot of food. I eat most of my day's food in one sitting-- it's not like I'm doing IF, but it's just what I prefer.

Also, I aim for about 100g carbs or less per day. However, I usually end up in the 130-160 range. While this may be at the lower end for a serious bodybuilder or the average American, for an inactive girl this more like moderate carb. I have a pretty even macro split. I do include plenty of fat-- about 40ish% of my calories are from fat.

that is still in the higher end of low carb/lower end of moderate carb

for reference i eat 320-420g of carbs a day with 2600-2900 cal as my basis (female; 5'3"; 154lbs)

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited November 2017

for reference i eat 320-420g of carbs a day with 2600-2900 cal as my basis (female; 5'3"; 154lbs)

160g carb is 640 calories out of 2500 is 25% which is still on the very low end of carb. A diet with a moderate amount of carbs and 2500 total calories would have something like 300+ grams of carbs, like your diet. Typically speaking if you are very active you are going to benefit from having more carbs as it is a primary energy source. Going low carb plus high activity is a recipe for hunger/dizziness/lethargy.

OP i'd urge you to just try for a couple weeks replacing some of that meat and salad with a bowl of pasta keeping your calories the same but doubling your carbs and just see how you feel.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member

160g carb is 640 calories out of 2500 is 25% which is still on the very low end of carb. A diet with a moderate amount of carbs and 2500 total calories would have something like 300+ grams of carbs, like your diet. Typically speaking if you are very active you are going to benefit from having more carbs as it is a primary energy source. Going low carb plus high activity is a recipe for hunger/dizziness/lethargy.

OP i'd urge you to just try for a couple weeks replacing some of that meat and salad with a bowl of pasta keeping your calories the same but doubling your carbs and just see how you feel.

yeah - i can't math :) I just remember what some of the other low-carb-ers say about levels - personally, gimme gimme carbs, all day!