Strength training/weight training: where to begin?

Options
Ok, so I have finally convinced myself that strength/weight training is not optional. But I am at loss where to begin.

I'm a 29 y/o female, 5'2', just under 130 pounds. My primary goal is to lose another 15 pounds of fat or so. I don't think that I'd want to gain a lot more muscle mass, but my legs definitely need some toning. I currently only go for long walks or short runs and do some very light strength training 4-5 times a week using my own body weight (push-ups, lunges, etc.)

So any advice where to begin? Any good program I could follow? Should I only use my own body weight and dumbbells? Or is it essential to use the machines at the gym? I have access to a gym with a basic selection of machines at my campus...

Any advice would be appreciated!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »

that's exactly what i was going to post!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    Personal training.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that you find a program that works for you....one that speaks to you. The link posted has lots and lots of options. I personally am doing the Strong Lifts 5x5....there is an Excel spread sheet and an app for smart phones that makes things really easy. Just about anything with a 3x5 or 5x5 is a strong candidate. Keep in mind that recovery is a big part of gains. As is nutrition.

Strong Curves is another program that is really popular. Lots and lots of ladies do that. It is - admittedly - all about the booty!

Focus on nutrition, first and foremost. Then find a good program for beginners. One that does three or four times a week and does not kill you with volume.

Strong Lifts is very squat oriented. You do squats every work out. Just an FYI there....
  • UncelDolan09
    UncelDolan09 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that you find a program that works for you....one that speaks to you. The link posted has lots and lots of options. I personally am doing the Strong Lifts 5x5....there is an Excel spread sheet and an app for smart phones that makes things really easy. Just about anything with a 3x5 or 5x5 is a strong candidate. Keep in mind that recovery is a big part of gains. As is nutrition.

Strong Curves is another program that is really popular. Lots and lots of ladies do that. It is - admittedly - all about the booty!

Focus on nutrition, first and foremost. Then find a good program for beginners. One that does three or four times a week and does not kill you with volume.

Strong Lifts is very squat oriented. You do squats every work out. Just an FYI there....

THIS. Stronglifts 5x5 is BY FAR the best program to make quick and visible progress, w/o any complicated routines. https://stronglifts.com/5x5/. It'll help you to get in great shape, if you get your nutrition right.
  • oat_bran
    oat_bran Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »

No, I haven't seen this. I didn't look in that part of the forum. Thank you! I'm sure I'll find something appropriate for my case there.
    Personal training.

If I could afford a personal trainer I wouldn't be asking questions here, I would be asking my trainer.

Thank you for the advice! I do know that exercise is secondary compared to nutrition when it comes to weight loss. This is why for a long time I just did cardio mostly to increase my TDEE and be able to eat slightly more.

Thanks for the heads-up about squats. I'm not sure a program with lots of squats is the right for me, but I'm sure I'll find something that'll work for me. Thanks again!
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    @oat_bran - You are most welcome. If I might ask, why would a program that is squat-dominant not be good for you? Not really challenging you, just trying to figure out the issue so that we might help in suggesting another program. :smiley:
  • oat_bran
    Options
    @oat_bran - You are most welcome. If I might ask, why would a program that is squat-dominant not be good for you? Not really challenging you, just trying to figure out the issue so that we might help in suggesting another program. :smiley:

Well, I might be mistaken (I am, most likely, I guess), but I'm under the impression that squats target mostly the upper front leg muscles which in my case seem to be pretty toned already. I mean there's very little fat in this area and the muscles seem to be quite developed). The areas that need toning for me are inner and back thighs and glutes (though I really don't want a big booty, I just want it toned).
  • stacj27
    stacj27 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Check out a bunch of programs, ask a bunch of questions, watch a bunch of videos. Eventually you'll narrow it down to what will work for you. I just mentioned Abby Pollock, Whitney Simmons, and Lyzabeth Lopez in another post as far as youtubers that have pretty good booty workouts. But I would check out that post (the one about exercise form) because they mention a lot of great channels on there. Just make sure to research everything thoroughly. There's so much conflicting advice it's hard to know what's what sometimes. And sometimes you have to try different things. I just switched up from a "bro split" with more exercises per workout to an alternating push + quads/pull + booty with less exercises and I've seen better results. It also has to be something you look forward to. Try different exercises and machines and find your favorites. Sometimes gyms will give you one free assessment with a trainer too. It'll all come together!
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    oat_bran wrote: »

Well, I might be mistaken (I am, most likely, I guess), but I'm under the impression that squats target mostly the upper front leg muscles which in my case seem to be pretty toned already. I mean there's very little fat in this area and the muscles seem to be quite developed). The areas that need toning for me are inner and back thighs and glutes (though I really don't want a big booty, I just want it toned).

Similar program(s) have you do lat pulldowns on deadlift day instead of squatting again - so if you don't want to squat everyday- that is one option. (see: https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/ for instance). Deadlifts will get the hamstrings and the glutes a bit. Strong Curves will have more options you can add if you want more glute work.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    2 program that I would suggest you look at are New Rules of Lifting for Women and Strong Curves. Personally, I thing Strong Lifts 5x5 has too much volume. It would be ok modified to 3x5 and better recovery. As a woman, while in calorie deficit, you will not gain much in the way of muscle while losing fat.
    Even in calorie surplus and under ideal condition, women, without high levels of testosterone, gain muscle very slowly, 1/2 to 1 lb per month max. You just won't get "bulk". You may get a little bit of "newbie" gains for the 1st month or 2 and maybe put on a lb or so of muscle. You will just look fit and leaner as you gain a little muscle and drop some fat. They key thing is you will be keeping the muscle you have while losing fat.

ETA: Squats don't target the front of the upper leg that much. More so the hamstrings and the glutes. The areas that will give you shapely legs and a nice butt!
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    edited November 2017
    Options
    So, it all depends on if you are quad-dominant when you do squats or not. So, let's just assume that you are - for argument's sake.

So, for what you are saying it sounds like adductor machine is going to target your inner thighs, deadlifts will target hamstrings (as will many other things...) and hip thrusters will target glutes (as will many other things....).

Adductor is where you sit in that awesome machine with your knees spread out and you bring your knees together. Awesome, I know. I do those for assistance with squats.

Deadlifts are awesome (and will help the entire posterior chain....LOVE THEM!)

Hip thrusters are another awesome exercise where you sit with your back on the side of a bench with a barbell in your lap and you thrust your hips up. Somewhat awkward in a gym, but I promise no one will stare. I do them, too! Well, no one wants to stare at my old *kitten*! LOL!

There are other exercises that you can do for each of these areas. I am sure that others will have several suggestions for you.

I still like compound movements in general.

@sardelsa - any comments on this? This is right up your alley!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Nothing much to add.. just want to clarify the "toning" bit.. becoming toned will happen as you lose fat to reveal muscle (so it will also depend on how much muscle you have) while you can't spot reduce to tone areas, by working muscles progressively in a deficit, you help maintain those muscles. If you don't work them, you can lose them.

So working all the muscles with a well rounded program (as suggested above, I have run Strong Curves with great success, very adaptable to what kind of equipment you may have) and not worrying about certain muscles getting bulky as you lose weight ... That would be my advice.
  • oat_bran
    Options
    stacj27 wrote: »
    Check out a bunch of programs, ask a bunch of questions, watch a bunch of videos. Eventually you'll narrow it down to what will work for you. I just mentioned Abby Pollock, Whitney Simmons, and Lyzabeth Lopez in another post as far as youtubers that have pretty good booty workouts. But I would check out that post (the one about exercise form) because they mention a lot of great channels on there. Just make sure to research everything thoroughly. There's so much conflicting advice it's hard to know what's what sometimes. And sometimes you have to try different things. I just switched up from a "bro split" with more exercises per workout to an alternating push + quads/pull + booty with less exercises and I've seen better results. It also has to be something you look forward to. Try different exercises and machines and find your favorites. Sometimes gyms will give you one free assessment with a trainer too. It'll all come together!

I've already started looking into youtube videos, including Abby Pollock, will check out the rest you mentioned! And I will go through that exercise post! Thanks!
    ritzvin wrote: »

Similar program(s) have you do lat pulldowns on deadlift day instead of squatting again - so if you don't want to squat everyday- that is one option. (see: https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/ for instance). Deadlifts will get the hamstrings and the glutes a bit. Strong Curves will have more options you can add if you want more glute work.

Checking out Strong Curves already! Thank you!
    mmapags wrote: »
    2 program that I would suggest you look at are New Rules of Lifting for Women and Strong Curves. Personally, I thing Strong Lifts 5x5 has too much volume. It would be ok modified to 3x5 and better recovery. As a woman, while in calorie deficit, you will not gain much in the way of muscle while losing fat.
    Even in calorie surplus and under ideal condition, women, without high levels of testosterone, gain muscle very slowly, 1/2 to 1 lb per month max. You just won't get "bulk"
    . You may get a little bit of "newbie" gains for the 1st month or 2 and maybe put on a lb or so of muscle. You will just look fit and leaner as you gain a little muscle and drop some fat. They key thing is you will be keeping the muscle you have while losing fat.

ETA: Squats don't target the front of the upper leg that much. More so the hamstrings and the glutes. The areas that will give you shapely legs and a nice butt!

I keep forgetting that! But yeah, you're right as long as I'm in a deficit I won't gain much muscle mass. Your post actually made really motivated to start a strength training program! Thank you! And yes, you right, I googled it and the squats do target hamstrings and glutes!
    So, it all depends on if you are quad-dominant when you do squats or not. So, let's just assume that you are - for argument's sake.

So, for what you are saying it sounds like adductor machine is going to target your inner thighs, deadlifts will target hamstrings (as will many other things...) and hip thrusters will target glutes (as will many other things....).

Adductor is where you sit in that awesome machine with your knees spread out and you bring your knees together. Awesome, I know. I do those for assistance with squats.

Hip thrusters are another awesome exercise where you sit with your back on the side of a bench with a barbell in your lap and you thrust your hips up. Somewhat awkward in a gym, but I promise no one will stare. I do them, too! Well, no one wants to stare at my old *kitten*! LOL!

There are other exercises that you can do for each of these areas. I am sure that others will have several suggestions for you.

Wow! You even propose et describe concrete exercises! Thank you so much!

So many great tips! Thank you all!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    stacj27 wrote: »

I've already started looking into youtube videos, including Abby Pollock, will check out the rest you mentioned! And I will go through that exercise post! Thanks!
    ritzvin wrote: »

Checking out Strong Curves already! Thank you!
    mmapags wrote: »
    Even in calorie surplus and under ideal condition, women, without high levels of testosterone, gain muscle very slowly, 1/2 to 1 lb per month max. You just won't get "bulk"
    . You may get a little bit of "newbie" gains for the 1st month or 2 and maybe put on a lb or so of muscle. You will just look fit and leaner as you gain a little muscle and drop some fat. They key thing is you will be keeping the muscle you have while losing fat.

I keep forgetting that! But yeah, you're right as long as I'm in a deficit I won't gain much muscle mass. Your post actually made really motivated to start a strength training program! Thank you! And yes, you right, I googled it and the squats do target hamstrings and glutes!

Wow! You even propose et describe concrete exercises! Thank you so much!

So many great tips! Thank you all!

You are quite welcome. Glad to be helpful!