16 hour fasts

Options
2»

Replies

• jenna_nicolo
    jenna_nicolo Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I usually only eat between 6-10pm if I can help it, it's just always been my internal eating schedule. I don't get hungry during the week at work and sometimes I go out to lunch on the weekends but then that's typically my one meal of the day, sometimes with a snack later. It's definitely the easiest way for me to stay in a deficit or maintain weight, depending on where I'm at with my goals.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    +1

Was doing the 12 hour fast but saw the research (somewhere in here) about truly needing to do it for 14 hours for the really positive effects to happen. So, I moved on up the totem pole....doing 16 hours now (from 7PM until the following morning at 11AM). It really does fit my schedule. The only thing that might be an issue is that I really enjoy training in the morning but can not train fasted. So, I train at lunch. I go to lunch after 1PM so I have enough time to get some protein and then my carbs in before the training session. The gym is one mile down the street....so no issues there.

I really enjoy this - so far!

There aren't any benefits gained by fasting for 16 hours as opposed to 10 or 12 hours...not sure what you think is happening, but it's simply a way to schedule feedings. There still has to be a calorie deficit for weight loss - and the loss isn't greater by fasting for fewer or more hours.

Here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10615049/alan-aragon-on-intermittent-fasting

Considering he didn't mention weight loss at all, he likely wasn't referring to the weight loss aspect of it, which Alan is commenting on, and so many others assume is the only reason it's being done.

It's the other health marker improvements that have been seen in the research studies beyond just what macro/diet makeup provide on their own. Blood pressure, cholesterol, insulin response, ect.

Now, those studies didn't examine like every 2 hr differences to decide that ah-ha, 16 hrs is the minimum or had the max effects.
    They went from normal all day meal eating compared to 16 hr fast to see the differences.

So ya, some people probably get those other improvements at 12 hrs, some may need even more than 16.
    But 16 is what studies looked at, so why not start there to start testing.
    My BP and insulin have improved, cholesterol not so much it seems, then again the concern over that had changed and just waiting for Dr's to catch up with research.