Starting from Scratch

Options
I could use a bit of motivation please.

I just found out yesterday that I had diabetes after going to my doctor in pain. (Apparently, I also had a kidney infection and a bunch of other issues.)

The thing is - i used to have prediabetes about 4 years ago, and with diet and exercise, I got myself back to normal.

Unfortunately, I slipped - and slipped hard. I gained 20 lbs more than I originally started with 4 years ago. THis is the heaviest I've ever been.

I feel horrible - blaming myself for slipping up.

But, today, I need to change. I need to restart and make new decisions to try to get rid of diabetes and this excess weight.

The thing is I forgot how to get started.

Anyone have any advice?

Replies

• phillyeagles9358
    phillyeagles9358 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Firstly, don't be so hard on yourself. Mistakes may have been made but they are now in the past and nothing can be done about that. Look to the future and use this as your motivation for change! It is apparent that you want to make big changes but you need to set realistic goals that will keep you motivated. Small changes add up over the long haul and you must always remember this.
  • skarzoun2000
    skarzoun2000 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's right. I agree with you - but, sorry, should have been clearer. I can't remember what foods to eat / not eat. Is there a guide that you'd recommend?

I think I need a meal-plan idea or I will just go back to my old ways.
  • phillyeagles9358
    phillyeagles9358 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Healthy eating doesn't have to be as complicated as we make it out to be. The first thing I'd highly recommend is to figure out what your resting metabolic rate is. Or rather, how many calories does your body burn off without accounting for exercise? There are plenty of resources on the web that can help you figure that out. Once you have that you will want to create a caloric deficit in order to lose weight. The basic rule of thumb is to reduce your caloric intake by 500 calories per day to lose approximately two pounds per week. Or you can you use exercise to create that caloric deficit by burning those excess calories. It is best to use both exercise and diet to achieve this as it makes it more attainable. As far as an actual diet plan is concerned I would recommend making minor changes to your current diet. When we make drastic changes it is very difficult to keep up without reverting back to our old ways. Since I do not know what your current diet consists of I can't make any specific recommendations, but try and make use of common sense when selecting what you use to fuel your body. For example, 100 grams of potatoes are obviously a better choice than 100 grams of potato chips.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Looks like you may have lost your previous weight using MFP as you have been a member for a number of years.

If that is so, re-enter your stats with your current weight. A goal of 1 lbs a week if under 50 lbs to lose, 1.5 if over 50 but under 100.

Haul your food scale out of the moth balls and start using it for accurate logging.

What you eat doesn't matter for fat loss, but eating to your nutritional goal will maintain your health.

A good way to start is by just tracking what you eat now, and seeing where you can reduce, cut, or substitute foods so you are satiated at a lower calorie level and don't feel overly deprived of the things you love.

Cheers, h.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You know you can reverse it. Quit blaming yourself and get down to business weighing and logging your food. You can do it again!
  • Georgianbaygirl67
    Georgianbaygirl67 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I’m in the same boat. Started back today. Right back to square one. I didn’t do great today, but didn’t eat everything I brought to work. I left some in the fridge whereas before I would have finished it all. I always liked to do about 300 calories for breakfast and lunch and save the rest for eating supper with my family and maybe a treat at night or a glass of red wine. I have always said it’s a lifestyle change. Being good 80% of the time. I’m looking for motivation too. Add me if you like.