Getting harder to reach my goal

Options
I feel like I won't know what to do next because I've spent an entire year losing weight And this past few months I've been in the same weight. I went from 270lbs down to 221.6lbs but I've tried doing the same routine that made me lose all that weight but I've been at a stall with reaching my goal. Anyone have any suggestions or advice on what to do?

Replies

• misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I feel like I won't know what to do next because I've spent an entire year losing weight And this past few months I've been in the same weight. I went from 270lbs down to 221.6lbs but I've tried doing the same routine that made me lose all that weight but I've been at a stall with reaching my goal. Anyone have any suggestions or advice on what to do?

Input your new stats into mfp to get new calorie goals. Weigh all food that you consume, and log it with accurate entries.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Have you recalculated your calorie goal for your new weight? A 50lb drop is massive, but your smaller body will not require so many calories.

If youve done that, you may need to be more careful with your logging - perhaps you have been guesstimating your portions or overestimating exercise?
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    tvnz1ryhbdr8.jpg
  • jaci66
    jaci66 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    What they said... recalibrate your MFP goals. October was like that for me. I had to do the same thing after losing just short of 40 lbs. I only lost 1.8 lbs for the month. I did the recalculation process and changed my activity level because that has changed for me for winter... I'm down 2.6 lbs since November 1st.

Also, make sure you are entering your foods accurately in your logs.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »
    Two things:

One: seriously look into recalibrating MFP calorie goals. I started at 267 this year and was losing at 1,800 calories/day. I'm now in the 220's and it's bumped me down to the 1,200s (SUUUUCKS!)

Two: think about a diet break. I did one last week and I swear to God, I haven't felt better in months! There's something wildly empowering about DECIDING to take a break. Eat to maintenance (it'll feel like you're FEASTING). I feel less tired, more motivated, and way less likely to cheat.

This is fantastic advice and pretty much exactly what I'd say so I'll just second it.

Also, congrats on the big losses, both @SergioCastro1993 and @aeloine ! That takes a lot of work and dedication and you should be proud.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Two things:

One: seriously look into recalibrating MFP calorie goals. I started at 267 this year and was losing at 1,800 calories/day. I'm now in the 220's and it's bumped me down to the 1,200s (SUUUUCKS!)

Two: think about a diet break. I did one last week and I swear to God, I haven't felt better in months! There's something wildly empowering about DECIDING to take a break. Eat to maintenance (it'll feel like you're FEASTING). I feel less tired, more motivated, and way less likely to cheat.

When it bumps you down to 1,200, consider switching your goal to be less aggressive per day. So, if you're set to 2 lbs/week, change it to 1.5 lbs/week. Gradually lowering the weekly goal is how to transition into maintenance.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    leggup wrote: »
    Two things:

When it bumps you down to 1,200, consider switching your goal to be less aggressive per day. So, if you're set to 2 lbs/week, change it to 1.5 lbs/week. Gradually lowering the weekly goal is how to transition into maintenance.

@leggup

I know, I know. I've only been there for 3 days and have been working out quite rigorously this week, so I've definitely been able to eat a whole lot more. Plus, coming off the maintenance break has made it much easier to stick to the lower goal for *now*. Will re-evaluate once the week is done. It's not actually at 1,200 yet, just in the 1,200s. I figure with at least 80 pounds left to lose, I can be a bit more aggressive for a little bit, and cut back to .5-1lbs/week once I need to.

ETA: I used that more as an illustration of how much maintenance calories can change once you start losing weight. OP has lost about as much as I have and I'm not sure if OP has recalibrated MFP calorie goals. If OP is plateauing, then maybe OP is eating close to maintenance and needs to drop either calories or weekly loss goals.