Fibre?!

Options
Hey guys! Trying to add more fibre to my daily meals, but can't seem to get enough? What do you guys eat that boosts your fibre intake? Please help!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Apples are good
  • sgtx81
    sgtx81 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Avocado, peas, coconut, figs, artichokes, lima beans, lentils, brussels sprouts
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Carrots, raspberries, cabbage, sprouts, baobab powder, cauliflower.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Fruit, vegetables, grains. I don't try to boost it, though, a balanced and varied diet should be sufficient.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Add beans or lentils to soups, eat a variety of fruits and vegetables. Start your day with a high fiber breakfast. I eat either oatmeal with raisins and chia seeds or shredded wheat plus fruit. 8 to 10 grams of fiber for about 300 to 400 calories depending on portion size and milk.
  • PamelaJones3
    PamelaJones3 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I add 1/2 serving of a non-grain cereal from Wildway to my oatmeal. It is made of finely ground nuts & seeds. I select high fiber vegetables and grains for meals and also sprinkle salads with high fiber ingredients such as raspberries or blackberries, nuts & seeds.
  • MadeinChelseaGirl
    MadeinChelseaGirl Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I swear by Chia Seeds!
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Now that it's getting cooler, chili is a popular meal. Chili with beans has a lot of fiber
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! Trying to add more fibre to my daily meals, but can't seem to get enough? What do you guys eat that boosts your fibre intake? Please help!

Adding beans/lentils/legumes into whatever I cook. Split peas are really high in fiber (pea soup supplies more in a serving by far than anything else I make). Apples, bananas.
  • sunnygirl87
    sunnygirl87 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Quinoa, oatmeal, nuts and legumes give me more than enough BUT I didn't get here in one day. I would only add a few a week if I were you. Good news, having a high fiber breakfast holds me all day.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Beans, vegetables, and fruit. I include these in every meal and I usually get 40+ grams per day.
  • mykeuk
    mykeuk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think many of the scanned item under report the fibre. So it is very difficult to accurately track fibre on the app

…. Anybody else noticed the under reporting?
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,930 Member
    Options
    Celery and broccoli
    Fiber one cereal--don't get excited. Yes it tastes like cardboard. But just a tablespoon in you regular cereal or instead of granola on a parfait. Small amounts are easier to take.
  • plattef71
    plattef71 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I take a supplement every day along with foods high in fiber since as women we tend to never get enough !
  • TracyL963
    TracyL963 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Corina1143 wrote: »
    Celery and broccoli
    Fiber one cereal--don't get excited. Yes it tastes like cardboard. But just a tablespoon in you regular cereal or instead of granola on a parfait. Small amounts are easier to take.

I do the Fiber One (original) thing on Greek yogurt at breakfast. Those little sticks stay crunchy a long time.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,174 Member
    Options

For those using fiber supplements: Note that non-fermentable fibers are not as beneficial to gut microbiome as fermentable fibers. Psyllium, which is popular, is nonfermentable. However, fermentable fibers can cause more gas unless/until one's microbiome is adapted to them. In general, it's a good plan to increase fiber gradually for that and other reasons, whether fermentable or non-fermentable, soluble or insoluble.

If I hit my personal goal of at least 400, and ideally 800+ grams of veggies/fruits daily, I typically get 40-60 grams of fiber without even thinking about it explicitly. As a bonus, that also tends to help me exceed my micronutrient goals with little explicit attention.

Specific foods that bring the most fiber, for me: The veggies and fruits (lots of kinds), ground flax seed (in my oatmeal or yogurt bowl at breakfast), legumes and legume-based pastas, old-fashioned oatmeal.
    mykeuk wrote: »
    I think many of the scanned item under report the fibre. So it is very difficult to accurately track fibre on the app

…. Anybody else noticed the under reporting?

Not as long as I vet the entries before I use them, so everything that's in my recent/frequent is accurate. Use inaccurate entries, get inaccurate results, youbetcha.
  • Fallingleaves323
    Fallingleaves323 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have been putting a product called “Get Lean” by “Gainful” it’s a flavorless powder that has 4 grams of fiber in 1.5 teaspoons and I put it in my smoothies! You could add it to anything you want though though! I love it because before I started using it I never got enough fiber. Raspberries have fiber too!