Is 100g (uncooked) oatmeal too much in one sitting?

Options
Hi

I am early twenties and have never really snacked a great deal, even when I was small. I have generally liked large meals and thats it!

My calorie target is 2000.

Is 100grams uncooked oatmeal with 30g of almonds or mixed nuts too much in one sitting? Would I be better splitting it to two 50g servings a day?

Thanks

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    That's your choice, why not try it both ways over a couple of days and see which you prefer?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I would probably need more than that, plus extra stuff added in, to feel satisfied... Oatmeal does nothing for me.

If you want to spend that amount of calories on oats, go for it. I prefer other carb sources (like the 800g vegies I include with my dinner...)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    So that's about 550 cal? Maybe 18 g of protein? With your calories that seems an appropriate amount to spend on a meal, if that's what you are asking. Whether it's filling or not depends on you. But if the question is whether you need to eat more than 3 meals or including a lot of smaller meals, absolutely not, not unless it makes you happy.

I eat 3 larger meals, mostly, although I try to get in a bit more protein and some vegetables at breakfast, as I find that filling (all meals, really, but I think breakfast can be where some people ignore vegetables and protein).
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I don't measure by the gram but by the cup.

Usually I have 1 cup (uncooked measure) which makes 2 cups cooked. That is 300 calories.

I have eaten 2 cups uncooked which is 4 cups cooked but that is a lot. Too much at one time.

To the oatmeal I add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup 2% milk and one banana and sometimes 2 tbls. peanut butter.

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Does it fit your goals? Do you like it? Do it.

That's a lot of oats, and I couldn't eat that much, personally. Even 80g I am forcing myself to eat the last couple bites, but I do make it into oatmeal and don't eat it dry. Why are you eating it dry?!? :#
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    dlp97dlp wrote: »
    Hi

I am early twenties and have never really snacked a great deal, even when I was small. I have generally liked large meals and thats it!

My calorie target is 2000.

Is 100grams uncooked oatmeal with 30g of almonds or mixed nuts too much in one sitting? Would I be better splitting it to two 50g servings a day?

Thanks

Too much in what way? Too many calories at once?
    You can split your calories up however you like. It would be fine to eat 2000 calories in one meal or 10 smaller 200 calorie meals if it satisfied you to do so. If you like larger meals eat larger meals.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I eat 67 grams (after it's cooked) nearly every morning with 2-3 eggs on top. I am confident that I could eat another 33 on top of that. It just may not be a good plan for me to go lift after that the way I normally do after breakfast.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »

Usually I have 1 cup (uncooked measure) which makes 2 cups cooked. That is 300 calories.

I have eaten 2 cups uncooked which is 4 cups cooked but that is a lot. Too much at one time.

To the oatmeal I add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup 2% milk and oneNot banana and sometimes 2 tbls. peanut butter.

According to the USDA,
    1 cup of uncooked oats is more like 600 calories.

• Lean59man
    edited November 2017
    Options

To the oatmeal I add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup 2% milk and oneNot banana and sometimes 2 tbls. peanut butter.

According to the USDA,
    1 cup of uncooked oats is more like 600 calories.

1/2 cup dry = 150 calories

Right on the label.

Millville Rolled Oats 100% whole grain
    Wegmans brand is the same.

Fat Secret https://fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/generic/oatmeal-cooked-regular

"Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size: 1 cup of cooked
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories from Fat 22 Calories 145"
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Well you clearly like big meals and oatmeal so no for you it's not too much.
    Not seeing any reason to split it into two smaller servings - and it's twice the washing up.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal settles a lot, so more oatmeal ends up taking up the same space. Try it. Put a half cup dry on the scale and I bet it weighs more than the 40g it's supposed to.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

To the oatmeal I add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup 2% milk and one banana and sometimes 2 tbls. peanut butter.

Always weigh all non-liquids.

Not in this case.

Sorry, but yes in this case. The label will have it in cups and grams. You could weigh it with a cup measure ten times and get ten different weights based on how tight or loose it is packed.

I say again, “Always weigh all non-liquids.”

For most accurate calorie count, I agree.

But it is not necessary to weigh it in order to cook it. I don't even measure mine, just throw it in the pan with liquid. So "always" is a bit absolute.
  • Lean59man
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I'm open to learning new things so will try it.

Thanks!

** Just checked.

1/2 cup = just under 44 grams.

My apologies.

sardelsa wrote: »

Not in this case.

Sorry, but yes in this case. The label will have it in cups and grams. You could weigh it with a cup measure ten times and get ten different weights based on how tight or loose it is packed.

But it is not necessary to weigh it in order to cook it. I don't even measure mine, just throw it in the pan with liquid. So "always" is a bit absolute.

And where did I say this was about the cooking process? My statement was regarding calorie count since that was what the thread was about.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

Not in this case.

And where did I say this was about the cooking process? My statement was regarding calorie count since that was what the thread was about.

The thread was about how much oatmeal is too much in one sitting, but I agreed with you about weighing for calories.. just not the always. ;)