Is this a good kettle bell workout for a beginner?

Options
Hi
I'm getting back on track with fitness and have a kettlebell. I love this 10 min workout to start the day buzzing. But I know there are so many dos and don'ts with kettlebells. Is this one OK? I've watched her how to swing the bell video too.

The plan is to do this for a week and then move on to something a bit more taxing. Thanks for any advice or further suggestions.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=tiC0zylTB0w

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Seems like a decent enough routine for general conditioning. I think some of the combos might be a little advanced for a beginner, but overall it looked ok. I would not bother to add the plank row at the end of the push-up-there’s not much point to doing it and it complicates the exercise unnecessarily.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    Seems like a decent enough routine for general conditioning. I think some of the combos might be a little advanced for a beginner, but overall it looked ok. I would not bother to add the plank row at the end of the push-up-there’s not much point to doing it and it complicates the exercise unnecessarily.

Renegade rows are definitely not a "beginner" exercise.
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Ah that's really interesting. That's the one exercise I struggled to do in time with the workout on screen. But the rest I love. If people who know about kettlebells reckon it's a well planned routine I'll stick with it as I really enjoy it and can feel it making me stronger. Great feeling.
  • cherys
    Options
    And thank you both for checking it out. Really appreciate it.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    cherys wrote: »
    Ah that's really interesting. That's the one exercise I struggled to do in time with the workout on screen. But the rest I love. If people who know about kettlebells reckon it's a well planned routine I'll stick with it as I really enjoy it and can feel it making me stronger. Great feeling.

Nothing wrong with them. They're actually a favorite of mine, but They're an advanced exercise that requires Core and upper body strength and the ability to coordinate the two. When I'm building back up to them I usually do them either from a High planked crawl(hands and knees) or a rested plank(one knee dropped)

Also, What size bell do you have? Generally you'll want to have several pairs.
  • cherys
    Options
    At the moment I've started with an 8 kg (just under 18lbs.) I'm already thinking I'd like to work with a heavier one for the swings. But 8kg is recommended for female beginners.
  • cherys
    Options
    I like plank, generally. Not sure why, it's just an exercise I click with, so am happy to add the row into it - I just can't get the press ups done in time as well.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    Another alternative(that works the same core balance structures) try tapping your shoulder(across your chest) slowly instead of doing the row.

I'd recommend going a bit lighter for the rows and a bit heavier for the swings. Going too light on swings(esp if you think it's too light) is going to teach bad habits.

I'd suggest picking up Sara Lurie's DVD(from amazon) and Any of Pavel's basic books(Enter the KB, RKC, or Simple and sinister) There are minor differences, but the fundamentals are relatively similar.

6 Kg for the rows and 12 kilo for the swings.
  • cherys
    Options
    Thanks, Stann. I was going to look at 12kg for the swings. The kettlebell feels too light when I swing it, and I've worried that I'll end up with poor technique because of that.