How often do you run after C25K ?

Options
So I finished C25K about a month ago and haven't worked out much since and have just started 10k app.

My question is do I stick to 3x a week 10k app training or can I do shorter runs in between ?
I am by no means fast and I'm just using treadmill but I am not sure how often should I run without injuring myself.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    when I did the program I continued to run 3x a week for that summer.

Then I stopped for over a year....

Now I Run 2x a week if I feel like it...

I am not one for running everyday...I feel that some sort of rest day or active rest day is needed.

and by active rest I mean instead of running going for a walk.

But each person is different....listen to your body. If you are tired or tender rest up...if not run.
  • passenger79
    passenger79 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Strong lifts 5×5 as well 3x a week
    I 've seen posts of people running everyday but since I'm still pretty new I wasn't sure if I should or carry on 3x a week as I have.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I 've seen posts of people running everyday but since I'm still pretty new I wasn't sure if I should or carry on 3x a week as I have.

well if you are heavy lifting as well I would suggest that you only run on non leg days...and if you do run on a leg day (aka every day you lift with SL) then decide which is more important...the lifting or the running and do that first.

I lift heavy as well and do not run on a leg day ever..not even after my lifts.

For example it was Deadlift day yesterday and when I was done with them my legs were jelly...so I did walk 3miles after they stopped being so jelly like.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

I would follow the 10k app as is - which I assume has you running 3 times a week. ESPECIALLY if you are also doing Stronglifts. I actually found it almost impossible to carry on running when I started Stronglifts as my legs just weren't having it. You may find you need to choose between the two, or consider running in the morning, Stronglifts in the evening, then a rest day, repeat.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I'm a newish runner as well. The advice I've seen is to not add a 4th day of running until you've been running 6 months to a year.

I still only run 3 days a week even though my distances are longer now. That won't change until I start half marathon training in January.
  • passenger79
    passenger79 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I prefer lifting ,yes would probably be better to keep them separate.
    Im just restarting after a break and dont want to burn out straight away.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    If you want to keep running, I'd recommend finding a training plan that you like and sticking with that.

When I finished C25K, I then did a plan that was geared toward reducing the time. After I finished that, and was OK with my base and times, I moved to a half marathon plan. After finishing the half marathon plan, and being OK with where that had me, I modified it, and started gradually increasing my mileage.

When I'm training and all things go well, I aim to run 4 times a week -- a 5 mile, a 10 mile, a 30-minute, and a 45-minute. Sometimes not all of those happen, but I always try to get in at least the 30-minute, 45-minute, and 5-mile. (It's that long run that was troublesome in the summer/fall -- I can't do it after work because it's not light for long enough, and refuse to do 10 miles on a treadmill, so I only had Saturday or Sunday to get it in... which isn't helpful when it's raining all weekend, as hot as hell, or I'm sick...)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Follow the 10k training app. That's the purpose of a training app. To help you build up and prevent injury. You can strength train or do other workouts in the other days.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Follow the training program...they're programmed the way they are for a reason...

Runners who run pretty much every day have been runners for a long time...and most of them that I know do minimal strength training...

My wife is an avid runner and has been for years...even when she's 1/2 marathon training, she only runs 4x per week.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Does the app have "off day" workouts recommended? I used the Hal Higdon 10k plan and how the Hal Higdon HM Novice 1 plan, and non-run days are either for rest or cross-training. I run 4 days a week, one day of cross training, and two rest days.

Otherwise, just do the workouts the app gives you for runs, and don't run "extra" to help avoid injury. You can walk on other days if you need additional calories, or figure out how to bank your extra calories from run days throughout the week.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    I went from C25k to HM training, so jumped from 3 days a week to 5 and a pretty rapid increase from 10 mpw to 25. It was too much, though it took several months before the overuse became obvious (stress fracture). That was several years ago. I currently run 5-6 days a week, usually 5 with a day of cross training (hiking or bike). I run one marathon a year and one or two HMs so I keep my mileage about the same year around.

Since you are following a 10k program, I would stick with the program. Alternately, if you want to add a day of running, do the same mileage, but spread over more days. i.e. 12 mpw becomes 4x3 miles instead of 3x4 miles. It becomes easier to increase your base mileage without injury if you are doing more days, but at this point you need to increase your mileage slowly so it doesn't make that much difference except personal preference.
  • toddandwendy3
    toddandwendy3 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    After my 5k I did 5ktoC
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I finished C25K, now on C210K. Tried to layer on Running for Weight Loss program (extra sprinbt intervals) and ended up with wicked hip bursitis. I cut back to C210K only and my hip is so much better. More is not necessarily better.