Squat challenge

Options
I started the 30 day squat challenge 2 weeks ago. Is it normal for my thighs to hurt more than my butt ? My butt isn’t sore at all. Iv watched the YouTube videos of the technique and I’m fairly sure I’m doing Them correct.

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Yes. Squats don't really get the glutes going much at all. There are better exercises for that.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Also depends how you squat. Low bar squats properly done hit glutes and hips much more than high bar squats.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    it's normal for people's everything to hurt if they're new to squats, and especially legs.

but if you find as you go on that it's mostly one side of your legs, maybe rethink. quad-hamstring imbalance is common with people who can't reach parallel or let their knees come too far forward over tehir toes. ideally, a balanced squat should ask for as much from your hamstrings as it asks from your quads, and that's better for your knees in the long term.

for the glute factor, remember to squeeze at the top when you 'lock out'. don't take it so far that you're putting too much of a bend into your low back, but the glutes definitely can play a part in your squats even if they're not the main part of the move.
  • phillyeagles9358
    phillyeagles9358 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If you really wanna hit those glutes go with deadlifts and straight leg deadlifts. I'll split my leg workouts into quad days and hamstring days.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I started the 30 day squat challenge 2 weeks ago. Is it normal for my thighs to hurt more than my butt ? My butt isn’t sore at all. Iv watched the YouTube videos of the technique and I’m fairly sure I’m doing Them correct.

Quads take over in the squat the majority of the time. Are you using a barbell? Try low bar and go below parallel - it helps to have someone check your form. The lower you go, the more you'll activate glutes and hips. Try using a band to activate your glutes beforehand. Try standing kickbacks, adductions, kneeling kickbacks, clamshells, fire hydrants and weighted glute bridges. Another good one is to use the smith machine with a good amount of weight on it for hip thrusts (work up to 225 lbs. or so for 8-10 reps). You'll definitely feel your glutes then! Also, trying different foot placement on the plate leg press and ensuring that you drop low enough is awesome for the glutes.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Keep the challenge going but switch from free squats to sitting into and standing up out out a chair for the counts you are achieving each day for a few days and see if your pain goes away. You might be off form without realizing it.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Okiludy wrote: »
    Also depends how you squat. Low bar squats properly done hit glutes and hips much more than high bar squats.

This. Lowbar hits posterior chain much more than high bar which is more quads.

If you want glute work, deadlifts are the mainlift.

Don't believe most things you hear on youtube or memes on IG, FB, etc...