Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Exercise as a punishment in middle schoolers

Options

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    So kids are in a PE period. Normally they play a sport or do some other sort of physical activity like running or pushups or w/e. Kids cheat at sport and goof off. Punishment for this is to no longer allow the sport leaving only the running, push-ups etc.

Out of curiosity for those who think this was inappropriate action on the part of the coach and/or the school what do you think the appropriate action would have been given the situation?

i asked this above and got crickets...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    This isn't punishment, but a corrective and instructive measure. Military forces have this ingrained throughout their lives:

Not paying attention? 20 pushups
    Last man in line? 20 pushups
    Fall asleep in class? 20 pushups

My 9 year old son gets corrected for not paying attention in baseball and the team runs laps.

Punishment on the other hand incorporates an element of retribution.

Except that elementary school kids in gym class are not on a team and are not in the military. They are supposed to be getting educated along with participating in physical activity. This removes the education aspect in favor of a retributive measure. Athletic kids will do fine and probably will blow it off as easy, while the less athletic kids will be the ones who will find it miserable. Perhaps some of those kids will develop a distaste for exercise as a result. Maybe it will take them decades to develop a taste for it.

Ask me how I know.

I'm recalling my youth and PE classes...there were always people who were miserable regardless simply because they didn't like PE or sports, etc. It didn't matter if we were being required to run laps or playing a game...they hated being there regardless...

I personally think that consequences for cheating and whatnot is an educational aspect.

So the answer is, for 7 months of school, we don't play any games or have any fun in gym? Because some of the kids were screwing around?! Did the teacher identify which kids were not following the rules? Did the teacher identify why this happened? Does the teacher have any responsibility here? What does this do to the school's accreditation? How about the teacher's lesson plan?

What are the purposes of physical education in schools? Certainly to get exercise. Learning to play fair and follow the rules are important as well, and I'm in favor of some kind of discipline for the infraction. How about the value of being fit and having a healthy lifestyle? What about the advice that's always offered here - find exercise you like. How does this teacher's punishment fit that guideline?

For me, one of the lessons I learned in PE as a youth was that adults can be cruel, lazy, arbitrary, and indifferent. I suppose that has served me well too, but I'm not particularly grateful to the teachers who delivered those lessons.

Corrective action for the entire rest of the year would be over the top and I question whether that's actually happening...my kid regularly comes home and says, "teacher said...blah, blah, blah" and when it doesn't sound right, we inquire and usually discover that he misheard.

If it is truly the case that the PE coach doesn't intend to follow a lesson plan and only do these punishment exercises, yes...I think that would be a case of lazy teaching...but I just don't see how this is actually a thing.

If it were me as the parent, I'd probably talk to the coach to clarify...and if this is actually a thing I would bring it up to school administrators, because it wouldn't be right and to my knowledge...at least where I live, physical education has to follow a curriculum just like you would in math, etc...

But as to the actual point of exercise as punishment, coaches have been doing that since forever...running laps because you aren't listening or goofing off or something is legit consequences in my book...but it's temporary corrective action.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    The punishment is not getting to do the various other activities that can be incorporated into the curriculum because they are not demonstrating that they can listen or follow the rules meant to keep them safe.

Yeah, this was my reaction too, and I think it's reasonable.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Since it's gym class, I think this is appropriate. If it were her math or English teacher or a parent, it would be different. Basically, the gym teacher is saying, "If you don't follow rules, you don't get to do the fun stuff." In gym class, that just means you do a different form of exercise because it's gym class.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Not sure why people think that body weight exercises/running isn't part of the curriculum
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options

I'm going to reply here and then stop because I do have to get to work...
    CSARdiver wrote: »

Possibly. You are forming an opinion based upon hearsay and inserting a great deal of confirmation bias based upon a personal negative experience.

I agree that this is based on hearsay, but that's all the information I have. I did note above that I would be in contact with the teacher. And my personal experience is all I have to go on, I'm afraid. But I am also a parent of 4 sons and a Cub Scout leader, so I actually do have some experience in dealing with rowdy, misbehaving kids. I will also add that there seems to be plenty of confirmation bias to go around here.
    My 6th grade track coach corrected me for slacking off. I spent the next two weeks running events I had little to no experience in. Sure I was angry at first, but accepted responsibility for my actions. Going through this process was a tremendous learning experience.
    It's all how you interpret and learn from the event.

I note that this is a coach in a voluntary sport. Not a forced educational process.

And this probably wasn't the first time it happened. It probably has been an ongoing occurance. I used to teach elementary music and there were some groups of students who couldn't handle games without cheating and awful behaviour. It sucks for the few not involved but if it's the majority of the class omitting games at least for a while and retesting a few times to see if they handle it is the way to go.

I'm sure you're right that this is a repeated offense, and that the teacher probably turned to this as a last resort. I''m actually somewhat sympathetic, and am willing to bet that this was an empty threat. As a music teacher, would you say an appropriate punishment for misbehavior would be to only do scales and arpeggios for 7 months?

The curriculum is move 45 minutes a day 3-5 days a week.

Anything beyond that is "health class" not Gym... although there's generally a substantial overlap

Ahem. The guidelines of the Society of Health and Physical Educators disagree with you. I'll post an excerpt in another post.
    https://www.shapeamerica.org/publications/resources/teachingtools/qualitype/pa_vs_pe.aspx

seems there is an easy solution: for the rest of the year or until they can prove they can listen and follow rules.

listen and follow the rules and they can go back to playing games...the punishment doesn't have to last the whole year

I suspect that you're close to the mark with this post. I'm sure this was an angry response, and that the teacher will withdraw this punishment soon enough.

You have no idea what went on and using the words of an 11 year old to judge the teacher.

I'm using all the information I have, and responding to others in the thread who seem to be cool with this. As I mentioned above, I would be in contact with my child's PE teacher if this happened to us.

So kids are in a PE period. Normally they play a sport or do some other sort of physical activity like running or pushups or w/e. Kids cheat at sport and goof off. Punishment for this is to no longer allow the sport leaving only the running, push-ups etc.

Out of curiosity for those who think this was inappropriate action on the part of the coach and/or the school what do you think the appropriate action would have been given the situation?
    Detention? Parent teacher conference? Meeting with the principal? 1-2 days of restricted activities? Cancellation of some favorite activity? Write an essay on why following the rules is important?

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Anything beyond that is "health class" not Gym... although there's generally a substantial overlap

Ahem. The guidelines of the Society of Health and Physical Educators disagree with you. I'll post an excerpt in another post.
    https://www.shapeamerica.org/publications/resources/teachingtools/qualitype/pa_vs_pe.aspx

Whole lot of words that say exactly what I did.
  • Jruzer
    Options
    Here is a quote from the Society of Health and Physical Educators. Note that their policy explicitly says that assigning exercise as a form of punishment is against their policy. Also note the expansive language that clearly states that PE is more than just doing exercises. I've bolded a few choice passages.

Policy and Environment:
    Every student is required to take daily physical education in grades K–12, with instruction periods totaling 150 minutes/week in elementary and 225 minutes/week in middle and high school. ″School districts and schools require full inclusion of all students in physical education
    School districts and schools do not allow waivers from physical education class time or credit requirements.
    School districts and schools do not allow student exemptions from physical education class time or credit requirements.
    School districts and schools prohibit students from substituting other activities (e.g., JROTC, interscholastic sports) for physical education class time or credit requirements.
    Physical education class size is consistent with that of other subject areas and aligns with school district and school teacher/student ratio policy.
    Physical activity is not assigned or withheld as punishment.
    Physical education is taught by a state-licensed or state-certified teacher who is endorsed to teach physical education.

Curriculum:
    Schools should have a written physical education curriculum for grades K-12 that is sequential and comprehensive.
    Physical education curriculum is based on national and/or state standards and grade-level outcomes for physical education.
    The physical education curriculum mirrors other school district and school curricula in its design and schedule for periodic review/update.

Appropriate Instruction:
    The physical education teacher uses instructional practices and deliberate-practice tasks that support the goals and objectives defined in the school district's/school's physical education curriculum (e.g., differentiated instruction, active engagement, modified activities, self-assessment, self-monitoring).
    The physical education teacher evaluates student learning continually to document teacher effectiveness.
    The physical education teacher employs instructional practices that engage students in moderate to vigorous physical activity for at least 50 percent of class time.
    The physical education teacher ensures the inclusion of all students and makes the necessary adaptations for students with special needs or disabilities.

Student Assessment:
    Student assessment is aligned with national and/or state physical education standards and established grade-level outcomes, and is included in the written physical education curriculum along with administration protocols.
    Student assessment includes evidence-based practices that measure student achievement in all areas of instruction, including physical fitness.
    Grading is related directly to the student learning objectives identified in the written physical education curriculum.
    The physical education teacher follows school and school district protocols for reporting and communicating student progress to students and parents.
    Physical activity is bodily movement of any type and may include recreational, fitness and sport activities such as jumping rope, playing soccer, lifting weights, as well as daily activities such as walking to the store, taking the stairs or raking the leaves. Similar health benefits to those received during a physical education class are possible during physical activity bouts when the participant is active at an intensity that increases heart rate and produces heavier than normal breathing. SHAPE America recommends implementing a Comprehensive School Physical Activity Program (CSPAP) for students to achieve at least 60 minutes and up to several hours of physical activity per day.

A Comprehensive School Physical Activity Program (CSPAP) is a multi-component approach by which school districts and schools provide multiple opportunities to accumulate 60 minutes of physical activity before, during and after the school day.Physical education is the foundation of the CSPAP model and ensures an opportunity for physical activity for every student in school. Additional opportunities for physical activity throughout the school day include classroom-based movement, recess, intramural sports and various before and after school activities. A CSPAP also includes opportunities for staff, family and community members to engage in physical activity.

The benefits of regular physical activity include:

Reduces the risk for overweight, diabetes and other chronic diseases
    Assists in improved academic performance
    Helps children feel better about themselves
    Reduces the risk for depression and the effects of stress
    Helps children prepare to be productive, healthy members of society and
    Improves overall quality of life.
    Citation: Ballard K, Caldwell D, Dunn C, Hardison A, Newkirk, J, Sanderson M, Thaxton Vodicka S, Thomas C Move More, NC's Recommended Standards For Physical Activity In School. North Carolina DHHS, NC Division of Public Health, Raleigh, NC; 2005.

It is important to understand not only the differences between physical education and physical activity, but also how they work together to develop students' knowledge, skills, and confidence to be physically active for a lifetime. Physical education is where students learn to be physically active and physical activity programs provide opportunities for students to practice what they learn in physical education.
  • Jruzer
    Options

Please see my post immediately prior. Especially the part about not assigning exercise as punishment.
  • Jruzer
    Options
    Not sure why people think that body weight exercises/running isn't part of the curriculum

Exactly. I mean what would the equivalent look like in another class? It would be like if in an English class every Friday they watched a video on history of a different literary figure each week. The kids started to goof off and ignore the videos, napping or talking in the back thus not learning what they are supposed to be learning from the activity. As "punishment" watching the video on Friday was stopped (lost privilege) and the kids were asked to spend the entire period reading a book instead (an activity associated with English class). Parent is upset that kid is forced to read the entire period as "punishment" because it will turn the kid off of reading.

How is that example any different? Does it sound "bad" in that context? I mean it might sound bad if you really hate reading I guess.

What if all they do is read books all period, every period, with no other enrichment or education? That's part of what goes on in English class. Or maybe they'd be OK just conjugating verbs for 7 months straight? That's part of English class.
  • Jruzer
    Options

i asked this above and got crickets...

Please see my response above.
  • stanmann571
    edited November 2017
    Options

Please see my post immediately prior. Especially the part about not assigning exercise as punishment.

Except it doesn't say that.

It says

Meaning PE/PA isn't punishment
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

but is that physical activity as a whole - i.e. class is cancelled (withheld) as punishment; or they are forced to do exercise while not in class (used as punishment)

that doesn't really apply in this instance - since the class is going on as scheduled - but one activity (a fun one) is being substituted for a less fun one

also how do we know that the fun game that was cancelled was actually part of the published curriculum - maybe the push-ups/sit-ups were part of the curriculum, but the teacher was rewarding the students with a fun game because of prior behavior, that has since been negated
  • stanmann571
    Options

Just demonstrates that you have poor reading comprehension skills.

None of that supports your case
  • Jruzer
    Options

Just demonstrates that you have poor reading comprehension skills.

None of that supports your case

I disagree, and think you are intentionally misreading the policy.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

Exactly. I mean what would the equivalent look like in another class? It would be like if in an English class every Friday they watched a video on history of a different literary figure each week. The kids started to goof off and ignore the videos, napping or talking in the back thus not learning what they are supposed to be learning from the activity. As "punishment" watching the video on Friday was stopped (lost privilege) and the kids were asked to spend the entire period reading a book instead (an activity associated with English class). Parent is upset that kid is forced to read the entire period as "punishment" because it will turn the kid off of reading.

How is that example any different? Does it sound "bad" in that context? I mean it might sound bad if you really hate reading I guess.

What if all they do is read books all period, every period, with no other enrichment or education? That's part of what goes on in English class. Or maybe they'd be OK just conjugating verbs for 7 months straight? That's part of English class.

What makes you think that is what this situation is? What in the OPs post suggests that this policy will last the entire school year and isn't just a temporary action based as a response to the actions of the students at that time?

As for my analogy would I consider it terrible if they replaced the once a day per week video watching with once a day per week book reading? Honestly....no, I would not consider that terrible.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    I agree that your daughter's school is sending the wrong message and will likely cause some issues later in life with the kid's views on exercise.

Why do you think it's likely these children will be affected for life? I bet it'll be forgotten by next week.

See Jruzer's comment after yours - I was in the same boat as him...

I'm sorry to hear that.

I guess I can't imagine not wanting to ski as an adult because a gym teacher made me do push-ups when I was a child.
  • Jruzer
    Options
    Here is a quote from the Society of Health and Physical Educators. Note that their policy explicitly says that assigning exercise as a form of punishment is against their policy. Also note the expansive language that clearly states that PE is more than just doing exercises. I've bolded a few choice passages.

Policy and Environment:
    Every student is required to take daily physical education in grades K–12, with instruction periods totaling 150 minutes/week in elementary and 225 minutes/week in middle and high school. ″School districts and schools require full inclusion of all students in physical education
    School districts and schools do not allow waivers from physical education class time or credit requirements.
    School districts and schools do not allow student exemptions from physical education class time or credit requirements.
    School districts and schools prohibit students from substituting other activities (e.g., JROTC, interscholastic sports) for physical education class time or credit requirements.
    Physical education class size is consistent with that of other subject areas and aligns with school district and school teacher/student ratio policy.
    Physical education is taught by a state-licensed or state-certified teacher who is endorsed to teach physical education.

Curriculum:
    Schools should have a written physical education curriculum for grades K-12 that is sequential and comprehensive.
    Physical education curriculum is based on national and/or state standards and grade-level outcomes for physical education.
    The physical education curriculum mirrors other school district and school curricula in its design and schedule for periodic review/update.

Appropriate Instruction:
    The physical education teacher uses instructional practices and deliberate-practice tasks that support the goals and objectives defined in the school district's/school's physical education curriculum (e.g., differentiated instruction, active engagement, modified activities, self-assessment, self-monitoring).
    The physical education teacher evaluates student learning continually to document teacher effectiveness.
    The physical education teacher employs instructional practices that engage students in moderate to vigorous physical activity for at least 50 percent of class time.
    The physical education teacher ensures the inclusion of all students and makes the necessary adaptations for students with special needs or disabilities.

Student Assessment:
    Student assessment is aligned with national and/or state physical education standards and established grade-level outcomes, and is included in the written physical education curriculum along with administration protocols.
    Student assessment includes evidence-based practices that measure student achievement in all areas of instruction, including physical fitness.
    Grading is related directly to the student learning objectives identified in the written physical education curriculum.
    The physical education teacher follows school and school district protocols for reporting and communicating student progress to students and parents.
    Physical activity is bodily movement of any type and may include recreational, fitness and sport activities such as jumping rope, playing soccer, lifting weights, as well as daily activities such as walking to the store, taking the stairs or raking the leaves. Similar health benefits to those received during a physical education class are possible during physical activity bouts when the participant is active at an intensity that increases heart rate and produces heavier than normal breathing. SHAPE America recommends implementing a Comprehensive School Physical Activity Program (CSPAP) for students to achieve at least 60 minutes and up to several hours of physical activity per day.

A Comprehensive School Physical Activity Program (CSPAP) is a multi-component approach by which school districts and schools provide multiple opportunities to accumulate 60 minutes of physical activity before, during and after the school day.Physical education is the foundation of the CSPAP model and ensures an opportunity for physical activity for every student in school. Additional opportunities for physical activity throughout the school day include classroom-based movement, recess, intramural sports and various before and after school activities. A CSPAP also includes opportunities for staff, family and community members to engage in physical activity.

The benefits of regular physical activity include:

Reduces the risk for overweight, diabetes and other chronic diseases
    Assists in improved academic performance
    Helps children feel better about themselves
    Reduces the risk for depression and the effects of stress
    Helps children prepare to be productive, healthy members of society and
    Improves overall quality of life.
    Citation: Ballard K, Caldwell D, Dunn C, Hardison A, Newkirk, J, Sanderson M, Thaxton Vodicka S, Thomas C Move More, NC's Recommended Standards For Physical Activity In School. North Carolina DHHS, NC Division of Public Health, Raleigh, NC; 2005.

It is important to understand not only the differences between physical education and physical activity, but also how they work together to develop students' knowledge, skills, and confidence to be physically active for a lifetime. Physical education is where students learn to be physically active and physical activity programs provide opportunities for students to practice what they learn in physical education.

Is it okay with you if I disagree with that policy or do I have to now change my opinion because someone wrote that down in a rulebook?

I mean what are we trying to accomplish by protecting children against the threat of exercise in gym class exactly?

You are obviously free to disagree with the policy.

But your last sentence seems disingenuous to me. No one is claiming that exercise is a threat. I'm claiming that this teacher's punishment is unwarranted and unfair. Obviously in PE kids should be exercising.