what to add to my home workout/gym

Options
angmarie28
angmarie28 Posts: 2,786 Member
edited November 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I got a gift card from amazon for my birthday, and I have no idea what I would want to buy (i was specifically asked to not use it on my kids because they know I will, haha) so I thought I could add something to my home gym maybe, so looking for recommendations, its only $50 so nothing fancy.

I already have:
treadmill
bench and free weights
mini stepper
bands
pull up bar
an elliptical (kinda sucky, strides are too short)
core exercise sliders
TRX type bands that you use in a door

anything you you have that you love and would recommend? usually I would have like tons of ideas, but we've been short on cash so I havent been looking around, lol.

Replies

• ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I think you got pretty much everything you need.

Maybe another set of 25 lb plates?
  • klkc2005
    klkc2005 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    how about use if to get something nice for yourself as a reward or new workout clothes.
  • SkinnyGirlCarrie
    SkinnyGirlCarrie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    do you have an hrm that you use? i have a polar h7 that is bluetooth and connects to an app on my phone. love it for my workouts (not sure offhand what they go for on amazon!).
    and i'm a sucker for more workout clothes, so there's always that :smile:
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Maybe more plates, kettlebells (ones with higher weight if you have), different types of bands (a Hip Circle is great), ankle weights, landmine attachment, t-bar attachment, or other accessories.. depending on what you are doing, maybe squat sponge, padding, medicine balls, etc.
  • angmarie28
    Options
    I think you got pretty much everything you need.

Maybe another set of 25 lb plates?

that is something I will need soon-ish, im also thinking a bosu balance ball, or IDK, lol. I dont shop for myself often, most of the big stuff I got free.
  • angmarie28
    Options
    do you have an hrm that you use? i have a polar h7 that is bluetooth and connects to an app on my phone. love it for my workouts (not sure offhand what they go for on amazon!).
    and i'm a sucker for more workout clothes, so there's always that :smile:

I do have a HRM, and I love workout clothes too, but I dont buy them online usually, I prefer to try them on first.
  • angmarie28
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Maybe more plates, kettlebells (ones with higher weight if you have), different types of bands (a Hip Circle is great), ankle weights, landmine attachment, t-bar attachment, or other accessories.. depending on what you are doing, maybe squat sponge, padding, medicine balls, etc.

I love the landmine and squat sponge Idea, thank you
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I would get some leggings. Amazon prime has a great return policy and reviews make it easy to get the right size. Nice set of headphones? Yoga mat? Retractable tape measure for measuring inches lost?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Kettlebells or Parallettes.

Squat/Jump boxes/platforms
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Bar pad, running shoes, leggings, tank tops, DVDs, speakers or headphones/earbuds for music, lifting belt, gloves...
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Just a tip on the elliptical, have you checked to see if you can adjust the stride? Happy Birthday!!
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Do you like dvds for working out?
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I'd add some adjustable dumbbells.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    I'd add some adjustable dumbbells.

Can't buy a good pair of adjustable dumb bells for just $50, which is the OP's limit, new or used.

I got a used pair of Gold's Gym branded adjustables (100# total, 50# @) w/a stand for only $100 but I got lucky.

It's no longer made but retail was around $300, as are comparable 100# Bowflex and Powerblock models that do NOT include a stand; that's $70-150 extra.

There's a 48# Powerblock adjustable pair available for about $150, which is the minimum useable weight.

There's also a pair of ProForm adjustables that's available at Walmart and Target for $70 but they weigh only 25# total (12.5# @).

If that's all the weight that you want/need, better to just buy a pair of 2.5 or 3#, 5# &10# cast iron dumbbells, which you probably can get for less than $25 used instead.