tips for using tuna

Options
I bought some tuna fish in bulk at Sam's. I like the traditional tuna fish sandwiches but looking for something not too high in calories. The pack I got 17 grams of protien for 70 calories.. I need a pick me up after dinner to hold me over so I am not hungry at bedtime. I work 2nd shift so typically i am going to sleep 11 30ish.

Replies

• ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I like putting it on whole grain crackers (6 triscuits is one serving).

Here is a whole bunch of recipes from pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=Tuna&rs=typed&term_meta[]=Tuna|typed
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    straight up just take a can of tuna add some spices to it in a frying pan and serve it. Yummy. Goes great with eggs or a piece of toast or some crackers and it yummy on its own.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Apples & tuna are good in a salad.......2 servings

5 oz can solid white tuna in water
    1 c. chopped apple (I like Granny Smith)
    1/2 c. peeled and diced cucumber
    1/2 c. matchstick carrots
    1 tbsp. minced onion
    juice of 1/2 lemon (or dressing of choice)
    2 c. spinach or romaine
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I like frying it up a bit and mixing it in my scrambled eggs with onions, peppers, mushrooms, kale, and blue cheese
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I make tuna salad with Greek yogurt instead of mayo and veggies like onion, carrots, and celery for crunch. You can put it on top of a salad instead of making a sandwich sometimes.
  • KeithWhiteJr
    KeithWhiteJr Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one that just eats it out of the pack with a fork, as is?
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one that just eats it out of the pack with a fork, as is?

^^Nope!!!

Now I want Tuna...never even thought of frying it. Guess what I am having tonight!! ;)
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
  • evilpoptart63
    evilpoptart63 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Im not a fan of straight tuna so I like to mix it 50/50 with chicken, add cottage cheese or salsa, and put it on a slice of whole wheat bread with a pickle or on crackers as a snack :)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i throw it plain on top of a salad or make an open faced tuna melt type thing or a regular sandwich. ive also made tuna patties and fried them.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Sunna_W wrote: »

Tuna isn't anywhere near the worst. (Concentration 0.126 ppm)
    https://www.fda.gov/food/foodborneillnesscontaminants/metals/ucm115644.htm

Harder to find is how much a week is acceptable risk.
  • vinerie
    vinerie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I mix tuna with avocado instead of mayo and mix in celery for crunch. Not sure it's appropriate for a bedtime snack, but for anyone reading this thread, I've found it to be really satisfying lunch!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My favourite way of having tuna is to mix it with hummus and have it on a bed of dark leafy greens. Feel free to get creative with this.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the suggestions. I like a grilled tuna with cheese too but not ideal for work. I see few options that could work.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,955 Member
    Options
    vinerie wrote: »
    I mix tuna with avocado instead of mayo and mix in celery for crunch. Not sure it's appropriate for a bedtime snack, but for anyone reading this thread, I've found it to be really satisfying lunch!

Thanks for this! I've made egg salad with avocado but didn't think of tuna salad with avocado. Although come to think of it, I've heard of avocado stuffed with tuna.
  • sssgilbe
    sssgilbe Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Tuna salad made with Greek yogurt, sweet pickles and water chestnuts spooned onto romaine lettuce leaves. Eat with 38 veggie straws and a pile of baby carrots.
  • rainingribbons
    rainingribbons Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I like making spicy tuna cakes. One is fairly light and super filling as just a snack, or use two on top of a salad or with fresh veggies.
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    iamthemotherofdogs Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I like to mix mine with a teeny tiny smidge of Duke's mayo and a diced up cucumber, and mix in some dill weed for flavor. It's refreshing and light.