Oatmeal!

Options

Replies

• rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I've been cooking rolled oats with brown sugar and cinnamon. I mix in vanilla protein powder and add raisins and butter on top. It's seriously delicious and filling!
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I mixed a whisked egg into my oatmeal when I cook it- you can't tell it's there. Add a little brown sugar, fruit (I froze fresh peaches this summer), and pecans.

• pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    crumbled bacon and fried eggs (with runny yolks). Salt & pepper to taste.

Thanks for the idea now I kinda want breakfast to come sooner to try this out.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I normally just use 1/2 cup oats, 1 cup of water, and a scoop of this:
    QST-00521-3.jpg

If I'm feeling particularly decadent I sometimes stir in a couple of chopped pecans or something.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I like savory oatmeal more than sweet. People tell me it sounds gross but I like to melt cheese into my oatmeal.
    Salt and pepper with American cheese.
    Chili powder goes good with cheddar in oatmeal.
    Like I said, people say it sounds gross but cheese pairs well with all the other grains so why not oats?
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    iamthemotherofdogs Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter overnight oats with honey and a splash of vanilla extract-- OMG. Or, light brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon and a diced cooked apple-- apple pie oatmeal!
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Raisins, cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice, brown sugar (Splenda blend), chopped walnuts and peanut butter are my favorite add ins. I don't do all of them at once because...calories, but I usually add something to my oatmeal that gives it a little something that is chewy or crunchy. It's a great, quick hot meal!
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    For some odd reason I have been eating oatmeal for dinner the past few nights. I just add honey, cinnamon and stevia, but now I have some new ideas to try. Thank you
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Just honey and bananas.
  • magster4isu
    magster4isu Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    This might sound weird, but I put a spicy BBQ dry-rub seasoning on mine. I love it. (I don't like sweet in the morning)
  • Steelpit202
    Steelpit202 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Here's what I did for my oatmeal this morning:

40g oats
    1/4 cup canned pumpkin (Used Trader Joe's organic brand)
    20g raisins
    1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    Stevia (I used about 1.5 packets, I put another 1.5 in my coffee)
    about 20g walnuts

It was delicious. I've been trying to make my own pumpkin spice oatmeal but I think the raisins and walnuts makes it work better.
  • aganey
    aganey Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Maple, brown sugar and fresh blueberries every time!!
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    I got a weird craving earlier...Made a serving of my peanutbutter out of peanut flour....And stirred in uncooked oats. Was yummy. Helped with my peanutbutter oatmeal cookie craving.

Was realizing was likely this thread that made me crave that lol.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Another savory oat recommendation. Steel cut oats take a little more time than rolled oats but taste better and have texture. Try adding bouillon, or even better cook with (home made <3 ) stock instead of water. Pick one or more from list below to try;
    • Sautéed onion, celery, and (hot?)peppers
    • Garlic (roasted?)
    • Sausage
    • Ham
    • Bacon
    • Shrimp
    • Cheese, various types
    If you live in the South think of oats like grits. Think of scrapple, pan haus, or goetta if any of those are familiar.

My current favorite sweet adds are dried blueberry and dried montmorency tart cherries because I recently bought each in bulk.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I but cheap plums or rhubarb once a week and stew them gently in the microwave with a small amount of vanilla sugar. Takes 20 mins max. Then decanted into sterilised jars and used with the oatvrab. I also mix some with yoghurt and freeze for low fat puddings...
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I love like steel cut oats. <3
    I brought some to work the other day -- plain with no milk-- only some salt.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    crumbled bacon and fried eggs (with runny yolks). Salt & pepper to taste.

Add some grated parm to this and it's my husband's favorite breakfast.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    I cook my oatmeal with vanilla extract, creamed honey and then I stir in cinnamon... for breakfast, I add field berries 2 tablespoons of ground flax, and about 2 ounces of no fat plain greek yogurt...
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon and apples.
  • Bechler77
    Bechler77 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Raw honey, cinnamon, vanilla and fresh ground nutmeg are my stand bys. Slightly sweet and the cinnamon and nutmeg make anything taste great