Getting Better at Running When You're Older

Options
2»

Replies

• CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you had a good run. Not looking at your watch is a good way to run without pressure. Doing a little fartlek (speed play) is also fun and can help you develop speed without pushing yourself so hard you get injured. Running fast to the next mailbox or the stop sign makes the time pass quickly.

I hope you keep running over the winter. It would be too bad to have to start over after making so much progress. With the right gear, running in the cold is fun. Hat, gloves, light jacket or vest and you can run down to about 15 degrees.

Heh, I don't know about where you or @CMNVA live, but it was 12 degrees where I live yesterday morning and I barely managed to drag myself out to run. I know a lot of folks have encouraged winter running, and it certainly would be badass to pull it off (and not lose the progress), but if 15 is the worst you can imagine, I envy you. I'm not convinced I'm going to make it through the winter either.

I'm in VA! Pretty moderate temps. When I did C25K last winter, i didn't start until October and finished up in January. I think the coldest I went out in was about 20-something degrees. It was tough, didn't enjoy it. The other thing about cold temps is that for some reason, my nose runs like crazy!!
  • Thehardmakesitworthit
    Options
    Everyone has had such good words ! I will just share that my running has improved greatly due to the strength developed with my heavy lifting and lunges. I am not a fast runner generally, but I can feel how strong my lower back, glutes and thigh muscles are working well! I am convinced to train both simultaneously. Cant stop wont stop! Have so much fun!
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Sounds like you've started to improve already! :heart:

I started running 2 years ago, aged 48 and 20 kg heavier, with a 500 metre run. Using a converter, it was at a 11:16 per mile pace. I was huffing and puffing and my lungs felt like they were bleeding.

Your story is so familiar.

I started C25K two days later, and completed it in 10 weeks. Been obsessed with running since that first day.

I recently ran my first marathon, averaging the same pace above for the full 42.2 km, at a conversational pace (in just under 5 hours).

Speed is relative. If you keep running at a pace that feels like you can run forever, you can do amazing things with your amazing body. You'll speed up when you run to feel good.

Love reading this thread. Yep, slow down and enjoy the runner's Zen Mode.

Thanks for your thoughts! I've read many of your posts here on MFP and you are truly inspiring!
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    CMNVA wrote: »
    Thanks for the input. Not sure if it matters but my cadence has been measured at about 158 pretty consistently. I am somewhat long legged and that may be my problem with the stride.

158 is a bit too slow for a running gait, regardless of your speed or leg length. Shorten your strides and try to get yourself to at least the mid-160's if you can. It might feel awkward at first but you'll be amazed at how much easier it feels on your knees and legs.

I'm pretty consistently 157-158 spm. Have been for the last 25 years.
    IMHO the cadence studies are hogwash. They didn't study what was best, but what top athletes do. It wasn't a study of cause and effect, but just what people do.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you had a good run. Not looking at your watch is a good way to run without pressure. Doing a little fartlek (speed play) is also fun and can help you develop speed without pushing yourself so hard you get injured. Running fast to the next mailbox or the stop sign makes the time pass quickly.

I hope you keep running over the winter. It would be too bad to have to start over after making so much progress. With the right gear, running in the cold is fun. Hat, gloves, light jacket or vest and you can run down to about 15 degrees.

Heh, I don't know about where you or @CMNVA live, but it was 12 degrees where I live yesterday morning and I barely managed to drag myself out to run. I know a lot of folks have encouraged winter running, and it certainly would be badass to pull it off (and not lose the progress), but if 15 is the worst you can imagine, I envy you. I'm not convinced I'm going to make it through the winter either.

I have online friends who live in Canada, MI, MA etc. who regularly run in much colder temperatures. I live in PA and do all my runs in the afternoon, so most of my winter runs are in the 30s. I used to do TM if the temperature was below freezing, until I signed up for a March HM. Temperature at start time was 17 degrees and I had never run in that kind of cold. I survived just fine, but I decided that I needed to get more experience in diverse conditions. You never know what race day will be like. So last year I did some runs in the low 20s in the clothes I described above. I don't have gear for anything colder than that, and it happens so seldom where I live I am not likely to go out and buy anything. Someone who runs in colder weather would need to get more warm gear. But they would still be able to run in winter. There is no such thing as too cold, just inappropriate gear.