Numb toes with new running shoes?

Options
Just purchased a new pair of saucony running shoes. They felt great in the store, a lot tighter and more supportive than my old shoes, however, I went for my first run/walk with them and my toes started going numb about 5 minutes in.

Do they just need some breaking in? Or should I return them and find something different?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Your toes don't have enough room. Return them and try a half size larger.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I had this happen with my new Hoka Ones. The fit is fine on them. I don't know what is causing it. Definitely not a good feeling. Yours sound like they might be too tight.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Jonna13 wrote: »
    Just purchased a new pair of saucony running shoes. They felt great in the store, a lot tighter and more supportive than my old shoes, however, I went for my first run/walk with them and my toes started going numb about 5 minutes in.

Do they just need some breaking in? Or should I return them and find something different?

You shouldn't need to break in running shoes. Sounds like there an inappropriate style for you, something with a bigger toe box.
  • Jonna13
    Jonna13 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice! Will go tomorrow and exchange for something else. The fit felt great at the store, just when I started running today the numbness kicked in. I pushed through, but it's been about a year since my last pair and I don't remember that feeling. Better be safe than sorry!
  • NoxeemaJackson
    NoxeemaJackson Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I had toe numbness and then I took the laces out of the very top hole and it went away *shrug*
    I think there's a chart out there on different ways to lace running shoes to handle certain shoe problems, some ways its tighter in different spots.