Doing a (sprint) Triathlon! Advice!

Options
abnerner
abnerner Posts: 452 Member
Hi All,
Going to start training for my first Sprint Triathlon (which will be in 2014) in a few weeks! What advice do you have for a new/future Triathlete!

Replies

• abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • addean1
    addean1 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Have fun! I've done 3 sprint tris. Not doing one this year- my sil who does them with me is pregnant and due 3 weeks after the race date. so were skipping it this year. My advice- practice the bike/run transition- wow- that's a killer going from pedaling to running!
  • tsboulanger
    tsboulanger Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Did my first one two years ago.. definitely practice bricks! Bricks are when you combine the swim-bike or bike-run together. Then practice all three. :) Good luck! It was fun but a lot of training. Look up tri training on line a lot of good pointers.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first sprint triathlon in October, but I'm not gonna train for it. We'll see how it goes
  • Denziee
    Denziee Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    i'm doing my first sprint tri in 4 weeks. I'm very VERY SCARED. i did my first bike-run brick tonight and it wasn't massively successful. my run is my strongest element and i just had no energy in my legs at all and instantly got stitch.

worried :-(
  • waltbran
    waltbran Posts: 19
    Options
    I am training for my first one in October!

I liked the layout of this free guide/training program: http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_trainingprograms/10wtp.pdf

As a wakeboarder and skier that grew up in the lake, I thought I could handle the swim part by watching videos on technique and just spending time doing laps in the pool, but after 100 yds realized that I needed some coaching. I realized very quickly if I didn't figure out how to swim efficiently I wasn't going to have any energy left for the bike or run. If you have a triathlon club close to you, I suggest connecting with them. My experience has been that most experienced people like to help newbies. The best advice I got in the beginning was don't get overwhelmed and think you need a gazillion dollars in gear and tri suits.

Good Luck!
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Try and get 1 or 2 open water swims in to see how it is. If its a big race you might have a big crowd when you hit the water and my advice would, unless you're just comfortable swimming in a crowd or a fast swimmer, hang back a bit. If you lose a 30 - 60 secs on the swim because you weren't in the thick of things, its not a big deal. The swim is like 10 minutes out of the 75 or so you will probably be racing.