Health grill?

Options
I’ve been thinking of buying a ‘George Foreman grill’ should I invest, your thoughts please?

Replies

• rdl81
    rdl81 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I use one to pretty much cook all my meat, so easy and convenient, I have been using them 10+ years now. I would definitely recommend one with removable grills to make it possible to soak and clean it easily.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    If you like to grill inside and want to buy one, sure. It's not anything magical though.

Personally, I love using my cast iron skillet for grilling inside.
  • Rincewind_1965
    Rincewind_1965 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I love mine
    (Not George Foreman, but Tefal OptiGrill GC722 )
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    I have one and I would say yes to getting one. I started out by buying roasted chicken breast at a local store,but only issue is high sodium content. So to get and cook your own meats will lower that by a huge amount. Of course that means blander tasting food, but I am not here for that right now. The other plus is they cook on both sides so I can cook a 14 ounce chicken breast in about 5-10 minutes. You have to cut it in half of course. I am sure there are many other uses and it does clean up pretty easy.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of "non-stick coatings" on anything. I was looking at this particular one (George Foreman 4 Serving Removable Plate Grill) and it has a non-stick coating (especially bad for birds and other small critter-like pets) whereas the Waring Pro Professional 1800-Watt Cast-Iron Grill (CIG100) is totally cast iron and has decent reviews. You can easily make a tent over it to hold in the heat using aluminum foil or if you are super handy, make something out of food grade sheet aluminum.

The trick with it is that you have to season it with animal fat like lard or tallow (just like any other cast iron pan) and you want to not leave it in the sink to soak. It gets really hot, 600 degrees so it would create a good sear.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I bought a different brand one but am very happy with it. The grills come out and can be run through the dishwasher. I generally use a little spray pam or other no stick coating. Cooks the meat really fast and without alot of added calories.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Cast iron works great, but you do have to get it seasoned before you use it.

I just wipe mine out with paper towels after I use it and then wipe it with a wet, well rung out, dish cloth. That is all it really needs. Never put it in water.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Also, check out the Swissmar KF-77040 Classic 8-Person Raclette Party Grill with Reversible Cast Iron Grill Plate/Crepe Top, Black .... now I am hungry! LOL
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    i second the t fal opti grill. takes guesswork out of grilling. . perfect steak , chicken, pork whatever everytime.