Is it normal for tape measurements to go up and down during weight loss?

Options
batorkin
batorkin Posts: 281 Member
edited November 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
On top of my diet, I am doing a mixture of interval/cardio 5-6 days a week, and lifting 3-4 days a week. I have lost 10 pounds in 4 weeks (253 to 243). My stomach and chest have lost 3 inches each (I store most my fat here). My legs have stayed the same, and my waist and arms have gone UP one inch.

The arms kinda make sense, as my arms feel firmer after lifting weights... however the waist makes no sense to me. I tried the tape every which way but it was always 1 inch bigger than 4 weeks ago.

Anything to be worried about, or just keep doing what I'm doing?

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Just natural fluctuation. I had a pretty startling 24 hour before and after this week. As you can see, distinctly puffier in the before. Just water retention and for no apparent reason other than I'm human.

incui42jx5t8.jpg
  • batorkin
    batorkin Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you aren't using the same exact place with the measuring tape or used a different arm. Or maybe the last time you pulled the tape slightly tighter together then before.

It's possible I just measured tighter the first time, I made sure to use the same arm in the same spot and moved the tape measure around to double check.

It's odd to me, but as long as the pounds keep going down on the scale... I have to be losing weight somewhere! The fact I lost a whopping 3 inches on my stomach/chest tells me I am doing something right, and a friend even told me "you look like you lost weight".
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Waist can totally be water retention, bloating, even gas.